Need Help! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!

scorpiosxa
02-22-2004, 07:08 PM
Ok, here's the dilemma...

I feel a constant shimmy in my steering wheel, especially over 50mph. I have had the rims checked, the wheels aligned and balanced, and everything is ok. The only thing left to do is get new tires sicne they are old and may be flatspotting. Can you think of anything else?

Thanks.

gobraves02002
02-22-2004, 10:14 PM
tire pressure

scorpiosxa
02-23-2004, 07:06 AM
Tire pressure has been checked too. Could it be something in the steering column? How could I check that?

Thanks.

tenspeed
02-23-2004, 07:30 AM
Try rotating the front tires to the rear. You may have a broken belt in one of the front tires.

EBlend
02-23-2004, 09:50 AM
i have that too, told me its a flat spot as well. so just live with it until ur tires are gone, but throw them on the back of the car so it doesn't mess up anything in the front since that would be much much more expensive to fix then anything in the rear ever could be

scorpiosxa
02-23-2004, 11:26 AM
They put the tires on a spinner for me and said they didn't notice anything. If I have a broken belt in one of the tires would this show on the spinners? This drives me nutz!!! I'm afraid if I shell out the $400 for tires it won't correct the problem!?

tenspeed
02-23-2004, 11:54 AM
No one said to buy new tires.

Swap the left side tires only, front to back. Go drive the car. See if the shimmy stops. If it does, check the left rear carefully. If it does not, change the right side only, repeat, etc.

If it still shimmys with the tires rotated, then look for a problem somewhere else.

I think the "spinner" you are referring to is the balance machine. That thing goes too fast to detect a little weave in the tire. It usually has a shield over it when it rotating. When you put the fronts on the rear, give them a slow spin and watch the tread. It should have no movement from side to side. You can also look from the side to see if there are any bumps.

scorpiosxa
02-23-2004, 03:19 PM
But if it shimmys after the tires are rotated it could still be the tires right?