Constant Grinding? Yea I looked :) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Constant Grinding? Yea I looked :)

nd4spd
02-23-2004, 09:00 AM
Well I have the the constant grinding problem. I already replaced one of the hubs, but this time the grinding is constant, when I speed up and when I slow down, so I think its my brakes, not sure. When it was my hub it would just be really loud under 30mph and would get louder the slower I went. Any Suggestions? I did try to search, maybe I'm just dumb. Ok dont answer that one. :p

safemode
02-23-2004, 09:24 AM
Either you installed the clips that go on the brake pads wrong or your tires are underdeflated. Also, your tires could not be completely straight on the hub. The rotors are only held in place by the tire so if it's not absolutely straight and if you didn't tighten the tire to specs, your rotor may not be straight. I'd also check your radiator air scoop and see if that's the thing dragging on the ground.

nd4spd
02-23-2004, 09:51 AM
No sorry should have said earlier, the hub was replaced over a year ago, and so were the pads, and rotors, I did feel one of the rotors, and there are some grooves, I'm thinking of just getting some new pads and rotors anyhow since this would be about the 6th time I have replaced them.

koolZ71
02-23-2004, 10:07 AM
i had the problem on my caliper..it turned out the piston froze up, and locked up closed..replaced the rotors, and no problem since

CelticSkyhawk
02-23-2004, 10:34 PM
I had this problem when I first got the car and ended up having the hub, calipers, rotor, brake pads and every other part in that section replaced. It never disappeared from that, but eventually disappeared on its own. Now I'm starting to get it on the other side, but after pulling my tire off I can tell its because the rotor is warped. Weirdest thing, I can't get my bolts loose to replace it. I think my emergency brake needs to be adjusted as well (self-adjusting my butt) and I'm not sure how I'm going to manage this without going to a shop. I may need pneumatic tools. Going to try brake cleaner and hope it helps loosen up everything that's sticking.

2003GAGT
02-24-2004, 10:02 AM
Here's an easy way to check if it's your hub bearings....put the car on a lift or jack stands and make sure it is very stable. Start the car up and put it in drive.

With the front wheels spinning touch the strut in the wheel well....if you can feel a vibration then that hub bearing is bad.

asepgrad98
02-25-2004, 03:31 PM
hub bearing could be so loose the rotor is hitting the caliper bracket.

nd4spd
02-26-2004, 02:15 PM
Well had a mechanic look at it, its actually more of a constant rubbing sound. Said my brakes are fine, and he really didn't hear a rubbing sound. Damn the noise is driving me insane.

DanIAm
06-10-2004, 11:31 PM
I had the same problem w/ my car when I first got it, and it got worse and worse. After buying new rotors and having alignment done, it stopped. I haven't heard the scrapping noise since.

Firestone is offering a special on lifetime allignment. It's like $120 bucks, but as long as you have the car, they will do allignment anytime you bring it in. DEFINITELY saves on the longevity of expenses.

MJSilver00
06-11-2004, 03:11 PM
^^actually I believe that is transferrable. Meaning that if you get it done its lifetime alignment for any car you ever own.

Breadfan
06-11-2004, 07:52 PM
^^actually I believe that is transferrable. Meaning that if you get it done its lifetime alignment for any car you ever own.

You sure about that? I mean, if that's true aren't you saying that for $120 bucks, the cost of maybe 3 alignments, I could get free alignments for the rest of my life?

Something tells me it's only for the life of the car...and still not a bad deal, b/c then you could get an alignment once or twice a year with no sweat.

MJSilver00
06-12-2004, 12:43 AM
Im telling you thats what the manager at the local firestone told me. That if you buy this special for $120 you get lifetime (meaning your lifetime) alignments even if you get a new car. Call them and double check I know it sounds crazy maybe youll be told something different.

nd4spd
08-01-2004, 08:41 AM
sorry guys finally tracked down the problem chalk up another hub assembly, this is my 4th one, sob!