very bad gasoline smell in car [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : very bad gasoline smell in car

elim
02-23-2004, 08:17 AM
Car: 2000 Grand AM GT Sedan ~59,000 miles

Recent Changes to car:
1.) About a month ago, I had the lower intake manifold gasket, water pump, and serpentine belt replaced.

No gas smell.

2.) 1 1/2 weeks ago, I had rotors and pads changed, and my oil changed from regular to synthetic (Mobil 1 5w-30).

Now, when I run my heater, I can smell very strong gasoline vapors coming from the vents. This smell never happened until I got the oil replaced with Mobil 1. Also, the smell seems to go away if I'm moving, but if I sit still for about 2 minutes, the vapors come back. It is extremely strong in the mornings when I come back to my car after letting it heat up. I have to leave all 4 doors open for about 2 minutes for the vapor smell to get out.

Could this be a problem with switching over to Mobil 1? I've read a lot of people have switched to Mobil 1 and have had no problems, though. I have read about people smelling gas after having the lower intake manifold gasket replaced, but never have heard of a solution to the gas smell. i.e., http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25164&highlight=gas+smell

I'm also thinking that if this was a common problem for people that had their intake gaskets replaced, that a lot more people would be complaining of this problem, though.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dr_Kyle
02-23-2004, 10:11 AM
I have no idea what the problem could be but I would strongly recommend you get it checked by a professional immediately. If there is indeed any amount of gasoline getting into your car, please keep your windows open!

Gas leaks aren't a small "I'll fix it whenever" problem so please get this checked right away.

klc317
02-23-2004, 02:59 PM
I'd bet that when they had your car apart for the gasket change they didn't tighten up a fuel line fitting or something that has gradually worked itself loose over the last month. DEFINATELY dont procrastinate!! Get it checked out soon.

tenspeed
02-23-2004, 04:48 PM
Have you check the fuel hoses for leaks. There's only a supply and a return. Get a flash light and look for a wet spot.

The lines come up the firewall, connect to rubber hoses and return to steel fuel lines that go to the fuel rail for the injectors.

sphere
02-24-2004, 10:30 AM
After recently doing my LIM Gasket job I had some of the same issues. When we went to re-attach the fuel line to the fuel rail we nicked the o-ring that sits inside. One place to look for gas is under the upper intake. Mine was pooling in there and had it leaked down onto a hot exaust manifold... well.... I guess we know what would have eventually happened.

elim
02-25-2004, 07:22 AM
Update:

I took the car to the dealer where they did the LIM work. They could not reproduce the gasoline smell coming from the vents. They called me and told me this. So I came down at lunch and tried to get the gasoline smell, and could not do it.

BUT, it seems that whenever the car sits for a long time (as in overnight), the smell comes back. Like this morning, the smell was back when I started my car in the morning and left it running to heat up.

I am going to be leaving the car overnight with them tonight, so that they can start it up and HOPEFULLY smell the gasoline fumes tomorrow morning.

Any ideas as to why it would only smell after the car sits for a long time?

When I learn more, I'll pass on my information.

elim
04-14-2004, 02:11 PM
Sorry to bump this, but turns out the problem was a bad fuel pressure regulator. It was leaking gasoline. It's replaced now, and no more gasoline smell in my car. Just a heads up for others who might hit this problem down the road.

:jackson