Clunking noise? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Clunking noise?

Marksman
02-23-2004, 11:12 AM
Whenever I brake and slow down I get a clunking noise from the front suspension. It sounds like blocks of wood knocking together. Any idea what this is?
I have powerslot rotors and new pads(changed last fall) but the rest of the suspension is stock for the time being. I wonder if it's the brake system?
It's starting to really bug me. I can take pics if needed, just let me know.
Any ideas?

BLACK99GT/ROB
02-23-2004, 02:58 PM
I have that noise too among many others and haven't figured it out either.

klc317
02-23-2004, 03:56 PM
have your strut mounts/insulators checked out. Mine was making that noise too and it turns out that the rubber jacket over the top of the strut mount (the part that attatches directly underneath the strut tower in the engine compartment) was worn off leaving metal to metal contact. A temporary soulution is to spray a bunch of silicone lube down inside the center of the bolt where the strut attatches to the tower. Looking down at the strut tower from the engine compartment, you'll see something that looks like a castle with little openings all around it. Spray the lube into one of these openings...really soak it down (Make sure to wipe off any overspray from the paint). Of course this only works for about a month or so.

Marksman
02-25-2004, 10:09 PM
Hmm, I removed the wheel and took a look and didnt see anything wrong. But of course I probably wouldnt...
I have a pair of KYB struts to install so I'll take a good look when I do those.
Thanks

01silverGT
02-26-2004, 06:52 AM
i hate to say this but i work at a gm dealership and i was told this was normal noise, they said the suspensions on these cars will make some noise from time to time

Marksman
02-26-2004, 09:18 AM
Okay, that's not really a GOOD thing, but in a way it is.
Thanks