Windsheild Glass Brand??? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Windsheild Glass Brand???

Vintalage
02-25-2004, 12:21 AM
Does anyone know the brand of glass for the factory windsheild? If not, where can I find this information? I had my windsheild replaced (cause it was cracked) but it was replaced with an aftermarket glass and I requested OEM. So now the company that replaced the glass is asking what brand the OEM glass is. How the hell should I know? :confused: They said it should be on one of the front doors. I looked and didn't find anything. :rolleyes:

juanvan
02-25-2004, 06:59 AM
I think that its on the rear windows ~ if you have the glass tinted though they take it off
Or ask a pontiac dealer ~ never heard of this before lol
good luck the same

AznGA
02-25-2004, 08:57 AM
How is aftermarket glass different?

Brother's1999
02-25-2004, 09:16 AM
My Brother's 1999 GA windshield says "PILKINGTON", same as the windshield in a 2004 rental my parents are using. So could be same for your 2002. The side door glass is "LOF" and the little glass in the rear doors is someone else.

From things I have read, the origional factory glass (especially windshield) includes special things to help align the glass for installation at the factory. Even if the glass is ordered through GM, it will come from an outside supplier, the same that supply the glass shops. They may not have the same appearance as the factory installed glass.

Vintalage
02-25-2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Brother's1999
My Brother's 1999 GA windshield says "PILKINGTON", same as the windshield in a 2004 rental my parents are using. So could be same for your 2002. The side door glass is "LOF" and the little glass in the rear doors is someone else.

From things I have read, the origional factory glass (especially windshield) includes special things to help align the glass for installation at the factory. Even if the glass is ordered through GM, it will come from an outside supplier, the same that supply the glass shops. They may not have the same appearance as the factory installed glass.

Ok, i'll check that out. Also, the Factory glass for a 2002 Grand am has a black strip that goes over the rear view mirror. That is missing on the aftermarket glass.

Gimli
02-26-2004, 09:00 AM
My aftermarket windshield had all the black trim around the rear-view mirror but let me tell you it's MUCH stronger than my factory windshield ever was.

In 6 months I had 5 different cracks and too many scratches to count in my factory windshield. I've had the aftermarket for about 18 months now and not a single crack and no visible scratches.

Trust me, you're better off with ANY aftermarket windshield.

Molson
02-26-2004, 09:29 AM
PILKINGTON / LOF is a main supplier for GM windsheilds.

Vintalage
02-26-2004, 09:52 AM
I looked at a 2002 today and saw "Solar-Ray." That's the same name I see on my side windows.

Filter
03-05-2004, 08:39 AM
I just thought of this thread today. I know it's a few days old, but eh. Like Molson said, LOF supplies for the Grand Am. Fact is most of the parts on the car are made by an aftermarket company. Hence the reason they are not as reliable as Toyota which controls nearly 100% of parts production. You can control your assembly lines, but you can't control the aftermarket companies that make your parts.

Anyway, so we have aftermarket glass from the factory. Solar-Ray is the type of glass, not the brand. The brand is usually written right in the middle of the info on the glass. Look on your side windows, it'll say LOF. Most glass shops use PPG which is a top name in aftermarket glass so be happy if that's what you got. As far as the black square around the rear view mirror, what are you guys talking about? I have a 99 (factory windshield) and it's open glass, no black square.

Vintalage
03-05-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Filter
I just thought of this thread today. I know it's a few days old, but eh. Like Molson said, LOF supplies for the Grand Am. Fact is most of the parts on the car are made by an aftermarket company. Hence the reason they are not as reliable as Toyota which controls nearly 100% of parts production. You can control your assembly lines, but you can't control the aftermarket companies that make your parts.

Anyway, so we have aftermarket glass from the factory. Solar-Ray is the type of glass, not the brand. The brand is usually written right in the middle of the info on the glass. Look on your side windows, it'll say LOF. Most glass shops use PPG which is a top name in aftermarket glass so be happy if that's what you got. As far as the black square around the rear view mirror, what are you guys talking about? I have a 99 (factory windshield) and it's open glass, no black square.

The 2002s have that over the rear-view mirror. The 2004s are slightly different. The '04s use a dot-matrix setup. Don't know about the '03s. The '01s don't have anything at all, just like the '00s and '99s.

matts
03-05-2004, 12:31 PM
but why do you want the black part on the windshield? what purpose does it serve?

im with gimli. i've had my new windshield for about 3 years now and not one crack or ping in it. it's got some surface wear on it, but that's normal on a daily driver

Vintalage
03-05-2004, 02:09 PM
Blocks some sunlight when you look up at the rearview mirror so the light doesn't blind you. That's my guess.

Vintalage
03-17-2004, 09:12 PM
Got the factory glass installed. Pics of the strip i'm talking about:

http://home.earthlink.net/~vintalage/images/rearviewstirp.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~vintalage/images/rearviewstirp2.jpg

Filter
03-17-2004, 09:27 PM
hmmmmm. I don't know that I like that. I guess it's an excuse to hide the wire for the map lights. I don't have that dot matrix on my 99 either. Just the tinted area. Different. Thanks for letting me know they made em like that. Now when I get my windshield replaced I'll make sure to tell them I don't want that.

Vintalage
03-17-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Filter
hmmmmm. I don't know that I like that. I guess it's an excuse to hide the wire for the map lights. I don't have that dot matrix on my 99 either. Just the tinted area. Different. Thanks for letting me know they made em like that. Now when I get my windshield replaced I'll make sure to tell them I don't want that.

You shouldn't have to. It's for '02s so you shouldn't be worrying. I prefer it. That's how my car came and most new cars have a similar setup now.