95 Grand Am died going down the road [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 95 Grand Am died going down the road

dreamweavd
02-25-2004, 12:17 PM
First off, Hello to all, I'm new to this board and it looks like a great forum. I belong to the 3si boards and this site seems very similar in quality and community.

My wife and I have a 95 Grand Am with the Quad Four engine. It's got around 175k on it. Leaving a friends house last night, suddenly, without warning, the car lost engine power, it just shut off. I coasted to the side of the road, tried to start her, and all I ended up doing was giving the starter a good workout. I get electric power just fine, all the lights work.

Now, from what I've been told, it's more than likely the ignition module, Coil Tower, maybe even just a bad boot on the plug. It's been my experience with the 3si boards, that a quick post about a problem can often get several replies back with great advice, usually saving me $100's. We do all our own work on the car, and I just dread having to take it to the dealer to throw it on a machine for $70, just to tell me to get a new Coil Tower. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

Jeff Simon

ken0042
02-25-2004, 02:19 PM
I had the coil tower go on my last car; an 89 Beretta with a 4 cylinder engine. Now, there were 2 coil towers, so I was able to limp home on 2 cylinders.

I'm not sure if the Grand Am is the same, but I would think GM engines would be similar.

atc3434
02-25-2004, 06:33 PM
Don't rule out a fuel pump problem either, at that kind of mileage it would defintely be suspect to failure. First bet is still on the ignition though, fuel pumps tend to get intrermitent before they fail completely.

dreamweavd
02-26-2004, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the advice, we took it to get the diagnostics done on it, the should call me around 2 today with hopefully, a very accurate report. I'll post more when I know what's up. Thanks again for the input!

Matt95GT
02-26-2004, 03:35 PM
I'm gonna vote ignition as well. The IDI module and/or boots sometimes tend to go on the Quad 4.

dreamweavd
02-26-2004, 09:40 PM
Verdict:

Fuel Pump.

They said the fuel system had no pressure at all. Picked up the pump at NAPA with a company discount for $78, $50 towing, and a lot of cussing tomorrow when I drop the gas tank. I'll tell ya if I run into any trouble.

Jeff

atc3434
02-26-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by dreamweavd
Verdict:

Fuel Pump.

They said the fuel system had no pressure at all. Picked up the pump at NAPA with a company discount for $78, $50 towing, and a lot of cussing tomorrow when I drop the gas tank. I'll tell ya if I run into any trouble.

Jeff

Who called it? Who da man? Give it up! :thumbs:

Just playing, my first bet was ignition.

atc3434
02-27-2004, 08:23 AM
BTW, as an afterthought, while you've got the tank down, change the filter and inspect the rest of the fuel line. A little extra time now might save you quite a bit later...