Immobilizer on 2003 GA SE [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Immobilizer on 2003 GA SE

ken0042
02-25-2004, 03:30 PM
Hey everybody! Well, picked up my Grand Am last night and now I'm looking for more ways I can spend money. I'm thinking of getting a remote starter, and likely an alarm as well. Now, I know when I lock my doors the lights flash and the horn beeps. Is that some sort of factory alarm? Somebody suggested it was an immobilizer.

Does anybody know if a 2003 SE has an immobilizer, and if so how does it work? I mean, how does it prevent somebody from stealing my car?

Also, my dealer told me that with my Monsoon stereo, it has a feature that makes it useless if it is removed from the car. Is that true, or have the theives figured out a way around that one?

Thanks everybody. :wave:

jake3217
02-25-2004, 05:24 PM
As far as I know, when the lights flash and the horn beeps, it's just the car letting you know that it's locked.

I have heard that the radio will not work when removed, but I can't really tell ya from personal experience. Pontiac has been doing that for a while now.

Mike Jung
02-25-2004, 08:50 PM
Your GA does have a PassLock II fuel cut-off system during the starting-up of your car; against someone trying to hot wire it without a key.
NO factory alarm as a stock feature.

But people (in the business of stealing cars) have known to be able to easily steal these cars equipped with the PassLock systems.

That is why I put in a CLIFFORD alarm system with starter & ignition immobilizers (normally open-circuit relays when armed); there is even available an optional 3rd immobilizer for the fuel system hidden wirelessly in the car.

The Monsoon has the car's VIN # programmed into to it & checks it against the a computer in the car; or it lock-up, if it does not match.
The VIN # in the Monsoon is only programmable from authorized personal; like I think a dealer (?).

ken0042
02-25-2004, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the info Mike. One more quick question then;

With the Monsoon stereo...... if I have to change batteries (and therefore disconnect power to the car) will I have to take it to the dealer to get the stereo re-enabled? From what you said; it doesn't seem like I'd have to. But my salesman said I would have to get the code from them.

Mike Jung
02-25-2004, 09:13 PM
^
Sorry, don't know...

My '99 GA did not have the Monsoon as a option when it came out.

I believe no, you do not need a 'code'; it would read the VIN # from a computer in the car when power is re-connected...but I am not sure.

The previous generation stereos like the the unit in my GA has a user changeable 'Theftlock' code (which has to be entered after a power failure/dis-connect); which people have found out how to unlock through the same way as a dealer would, so it has been rendered basically useless.