00 GAGT Door rubs on fender [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 00 GAGT Door rubs on fender

Hexx
02-25-2004, 02:55 PM
Hey all,
Today after I got out of class, I noticed my door didn't open all the way and that something was rubbing. Where the door and fender meet (drivers side) at about mid way of the plastic stuff stuck on the side of the fender....this is where the door hits the fender. It doesnt touch the plastic stuff, but the actual metal fender. From the inside you can see the fender being bent.

My bro and dad keep saying someone must have hit me. There is NO evidence of this at all. Front of my car was facing a snow bank, on the drivers side there was a red neon parked which NEVER moved. No scratches on the car or dents or anything.

Just wondering what I should do about this situation :(

Hexx
02-25-2004, 03:05 PM
I realized what happened. Hard to explain but here goes...

I just bent the fender back. I tried opening the door. This time the plastic piece on the door hit the fender. The plastic glue wore off i guess and the plastic door panel is what hit the fender, making it bend :(

Then when I went to open the door again, the metal was hitting it after :(

From what I think, I can A) Take off the skirts and door panels, or B) glue them down better and try to touch up the paint and hope for no rust.

cavingman
02-25-2004, 03:07 PM
I had the same problem. do a search and see what people did. You may be able to get a dealership to fix it for ya also.

2000GA
02-25-2004, 03:13 PM
Are you saying that the plastic side cladding is hitting the fender when you open the door? My rear door was doing this to my front door and i had the dealer fix it. You could try to fix it with some double sided foam tape.

AaronGAGT
02-25-2004, 09:24 PM
Same problem here.

luniz
02-25-2004, 09:31 PM
Ditto. Happened twice. Took it to a bodyshop and had them fix it for free. Still a focking joke that your door can damage your fender just by opening it. I was no too happy about it.

Hexx
02-26-2004, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by luniz
Ditto. Happened twice. Took it to a bodyshop and had them fix it for free. Still a focking joke that your door can damage your fender just by opening it. I was no too happy about it.

Yeah no kidding. I think I'm gonna double side tape it, then use some touch up paint in there to fix it.

sierra02
02-26-2004, 12:35 PM
I think they tried to epoxy mine down. Its held so far.

Kodeblue
02-26-2004, 03:44 PM
Hmmmm this sure sounds familiar. I changed my door mouldings to the GT ones. I went to leave one day and when I went to open the door, it would not open. i looked around and seen that the mouldings were coming off and that the fender was bent in and stopping the door from opening. Funny part is, I seriously thought someone was focking with me so i went to the police station to file a report in case I was right, can't trust this place around here, lol. Anyways, the cop comes out and has a look and decides that i should go to a body shop and get thier opinion as to what happened because there was reallt no damage other then that. So I go to the shop, the guy comes out and instantly he tells me that the moulding that was out a little was the cause of the fender being pushed in like it was. SO when I opened the door, i didn't even realize that I must have did it, lol. Anyways, the guy at the sop pulled it back out and I have not had a problem since. By the way, I did not go back to the police to advice them that i was the dumb ass that dented my own door, hahaha.

I did bring my car in to a couple shops here to get the mouldings fixed and they still did not completely stick so the last shop I went to, he used some black silicone stuff and it stuck like crazy. In fact I have to go back and get the rest fixed when it warms up a little more. When I go, I will ask them what the stuff is he uses and post it here. I spend close to $100 on different tape and nothing worked at all.

Hexx
02-26-2004, 04:33 PM
I need to bring it to a body shop and they are gonna need to take the fender off and fix it. Reason: There is a crack in the fender now :( It bent the metal so much that it cracked a little bit.

Does anyone know how much this would cost? $100 - 200? Touch up paint would also be needed in this area.

Kodeblue
02-26-2004, 07:57 PM
By the sounds of it, mine was in the same shape as yours. When they fixed mine, they just used this thing like a wedge and placed it between the door and fender. Just pry out the fender and all is good. They did however have to loosen the fender screws to pull it back up into place as it was slightly pulled down. The wrinkle in my fender is not noticeable at all because it is under the moulding. I will be getting it fixed properly though when the car is paid for and I get it painted.