Colder weather / Overdrive [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Colder weather / Overdrive

Kruzininla
02-26-2004, 08:44 PM
I'll try and explain this to where it's not confusing. I have a '00 GAGT. When the weather is cooler (40's or so, maybe lower) the transmission will not shift to overdrive. I have completely warmed the engine up before hitting the road and it will still not go into overdrive, like it has to warm up also. I also have a 99 Tahoe and i can start it up and drive off immediately and it will shift to overdrive. I work close by an interstate and really hate to scream the engine jus so i dont get ran over. Any aftermarket goodie that fixes this? I also want to add i've had corvettes, camaros, and another truck and all shifted to overdrive when cold. Hopefully something can be adjusted or added to solve this...

Thanks

02PONtiac!
02-26-2004, 08:50 PM
I noticed my GA will not shift into overdrive when cold on the freeway. I live literally half a mile from Highway 50 and my car won't shift into overdrive until it get to the 200 mark. Have you had a tranny flush lately?

Kruzininla
02-26-2004, 08:58 PM
Never had a tranny flush or fluid change. This car only has 28,000 on it. I was planning on changing it at 30,000 just for the piece of mind, but probably will not even need it then.

02PONtiac!
02-26-2004, 09:03 PM
yeah at that little miles there seems to be more of a problem. Will warranty cover this??

Mike Jung
02-26-2004, 09:16 PM
About not shifting into OD right-away at highway speeds after just doing a 'cold-start'. (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26832)

atc3434
02-26-2004, 09:38 PM
First, the car IS going into overdrive. What you are reffering to is the Torque Converter not locking up. This is because the transmission isn't at full operating temperature, and so it doesn't allow the torque converter to lock up until the tranny reaches a certain temp. There is nothing wrong with the transmission, this is the way it is designed. The engine temperature has nothing to do with the torque converter lockup, its all about the tranny temp. As for heading down the freeway, as long as you have let the motor run for a lil bit (3+ minutes) the rpms arn't too big a concern. You don't want to put a big load on the engine till its warmed up some, but the RPMs arn't hurting it much once its started to move the temp gauge.

Kruzininla
02-26-2004, 10:37 PM
I guess I am just used to cars ive had in the past. thanks for the replies.

action
02-27-2004, 07:37 AM
The tranny in this car is largely controlled by the computer. That is why it acts this way. My '00 Sierra was the same way and it was explained in the owners manual.

Older trannys were sontrilled by vaccume and line pressure so they weren't smart enough to have this feature.

01silverGT
02-28-2004, 01:12 PM
the torque converter lock up temp is 75 degrees, when the trans gets there then it will lock-up into OD, i watched it one night on my way home from work with the Tech-2

Kruzininla
02-28-2004, 01:42 PM
Just curious what it would hurt, if anything, that the tranny shift to OD before reaching 75 degrees?

Hot_Stud18
02-29-2004, 01:31 PM
My car has been doing this problem since it was brand new, I live like 1/4 of a mile from the freeway and everytime in the winter or when its like under 50 degrees out the RPM's on the freeway run at like 3k for 5-10min. I used to try to keep it at 2k rpm's but the way everyone drives im forced to go atleast 70 on the freeway because I don't wanna cause an accident.

Kruzininla
02-29-2004, 07:16 PM
Yes!! Thats what i was trying to get at earlier, still wondering though about the OD before 75 degrees.

atc3434
03-01-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Hot_Stud18
My car has been doing this problem since it was brand new, I live like 1/4 of a mile from the freeway and everytime in the winter or when its like under 50 degrees out the RPM's on the freeway run at like 3k for 5-10min. I used to try to keep it at 2k rpm's but the way everyone drives im forced to go atleast 70 on the freeway because I don't wanna cause an accident.

There is nothing wrong with the car. It doesn't allow the torque converter to lockup till its warm enough. Let the car warm up for a few minutes, till you start just moving the temp gauge up past 100, then get in the freeway and drive. Don't pin the throttle while its still cold, but the RPMs arn't hurting you. Its putting a big load on a cold engine that wears things.