Radiator Stop Leak [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Stop Leak

thomask131
02-27-2004, 06:57 PM
My gagt now has about 60,000 miles on it and it is starting to leak coolant on long trips (like a 6hr trip). The good news is that its NOT leaking into the oil. I figured that I would try to slow the leak with some radiator stop leak and this is where I ran into a problem. Can I put this stuff in the overflow resevoir or does it have to be put directly into the radiator?? On the bottle it says the radiator, but i can't seem to find the cap:confused:

02PONtiac!
02-27-2004, 07:36 PM
I would put it directly into the radiator. I had a 1992 Lincoln Continental that had a blown head gasket. I used Aluma-seal and it seemed to stop the leak for about 5,000 miles. Yeah, put it directly into the radiator.

Kruzininla
02-27-2004, 10:30 PM
I dont remember seeing one either on the radiator, there is a pressurized cap on the overflow though.

02PONtiac!
02-28-2004, 04:13 AM
I would just drain a little radiatior fluid out of the system prior to putting the sealer in the overflow. This way when you put the sealer in it will not be just sitting in the overflow.

atc3434
02-28-2004, 09:58 AM
Stop leak stuff is horrible for the inside of the engine. It'll stop the leak, but it'll plug all sorts of other stuff too. I actually witnessed a car blow out a softplug because stopleak pluged up the coolant system. IMHO, just get the leak fixed, and just keep topping off till you do.

02PONtiac!
02-28-2004, 10:45 AM
yeah that's true, that stuff will clog up your radiator and all that shnazz.

Apollyon9515
02-29-2004, 12:40 AM
I did this worked for maybe a week, or i coulda jsut not had much leaking. All it did was make my resorvoir look nasty, just spend the money to get the gasket replaced. Mine has had a small leak for 4 months now and no oil leak either.

matts
02-29-2004, 01:31 AM
yeah, it's either semi-cheap repairs now or expensive repairs later. just think of what the stop leak is supposed to do. it's supposed to plug up holes. that stuff isn't smart enough to differentiate between holes it's supposed to plug up and one's it NOT supposed to plug up......so it plugs them all up.

i never thought about it either until i put a couple bottles of it in a vehicle of mine. i learned my lesson after i replaced the radiator, water pump, thermostat, both hoses and had to have the rest of the cooling system flushed out. i really dont think your case would end up that extreme, but still, my truck didn't take a liking to stop leak very much lol.

do you know where it's leaking? stop leak might not even fix it.....it usually don't anyway. it might be a gasket somewhere, and it just takes that long to get hot enough to have enough give to it for the coolant to leak out.

i'm not sure which car it was, but it seems like i remember seeing a car that didn't have a radiator cap. to fill the system you had to add it to the overflow tank and let the radiator suck it down. but i dont even remember what kind of car it was now.

videoman
02-29-2004, 08:02 PM
Be carefull with the stop leak, It clogged my heater core on my last car. IMO its not worth the risk. Find the leaks location and get the part or area fixed or replaced.