Cracked Taillight Housing, please help! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Taillight Housing, please help!

2002AmSE
02-28-2004, 09:52 AM
Hey guys, I came outside today to the parking lot and I saw that there was a hole in my right rear taillight where someone must have hit it. I went to the dealer to find out how much it would cost but they said they only sell the entire assembly for $208!!!

Is there any way to just get the plastic part of it?? or a much cheaper(under $50) solution? I don't have $208 on hand right now...

CruzinGT33
02-28-2004, 06:08 PM
I bought a used replacement taillight off ebay for $56. Other than that, maybe a junkyard.

Dr_Kyle
02-28-2004, 06:43 PM
Ebay or Junkyard is your best bet for getting it cheaper. Lucky for you, there's always plenty of the SE lights listed.

There is no way to get just the lense. :(

Apollyon9515
02-28-2004, 11:37 PM
also might wonna check www.car-parts.com if you cant find anything local

illsmokeyou
02-29-2004, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by 2002AmSE
Hey guys, I came outside today to the parking lot and I saw that there was a hole in my right rear taillight where someone must have hit it. I went to the dealer to find out how much it would cost but they said they only sell the entire assembly for $208!!!

Is there any way to just get the plastic part of it?? or a much cheaper(under $50) solution? I don't have $208 on hand right now...

I will be converting my stock SE to clear tails/partially *** this week, and will have the SE lenses (only) left over..... I can sell you both for $20 + shipping, get back to me, or PM me

2002AmSE
02-29-2004, 08:00 AM
PM sent

magyver
02-29-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by illsmokeyou
I will be converting my stock SE to clear tails/partially *** this week, and will have the SE lenses (only) left over..... I can sell you both for $20 + shipping, get back to me, or PM me

well, wait a second, your gonna have to dremel your lens off, se tailz dont clear like gt tailz do, so your gonnna need to make the cut perfect so that it matches up w/ your original tail, its gonna take alot of work to get a lens from another tail to fit on a differnt tail...

but u can get clear lenses from *** for $70 a pair i believe.... but then youd need led's...and again, fitting into the stock hacked up tail would be tricky... alot of caulk and some luck and its doable...but id just get a whole new tail, ebay for somthing.. a guy on here or gaowners had a set of se tails for like 80 bones, so thats in your pricerange....

illsmokeyou, what r u using for lenses or r u going comando and not using any, like 3d style?

illsmokeyou
03-01-2004, 06:20 AM
please please, its not nearly as hard as your making it seem, its rather easy, and len went throught the process with me

the two halves separate carefully using a utility knife

inside unlike the GT tails, there are no lenses of anykind to remove, since the SE lens itself is what gives off the red look

I will indeed need to dremel out about an eighth of an inch off the stock housings to make the *** lenses fit flush to the SE backs

paint the lenses with black trim around to give that "stock" look, and also to hide the silicone sealant

Use removeable black silicone sealant..... and POOF...... im done

(dont forget the red reflective stipe inside to make them somewhat DOT legal)

ive already bought 4 jamstraight 3157 leds for the stop lights, 4 amber 3156 leds for the turns on the way..... with the only exception of GT vs SE is that the reverse light will be completely clear, and NO lens on the SE housings, so for now ill use the 3156 bulb to see how I like it, and if not, then ill just order a 3156 hyper white led.

this has already been done on a GT, wasnt hard, by Pam of IC, and her car seen here:
http://www.alltuned.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=625

illsmokeyou
03-01-2004, 06:22 AM
ill even post a "how to" when im done and yes, the lenses are $35 each + tax

magyver
03-01-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by illsmokeyou
please please, its not nearly as hard as your making it seem, its rather easy, and len went throught the process with me

the two halves separate carefully using a utility knife

ok, i wasnt concerned about your part and what yoru doing, just making sure its gonna be easy for 2000amSE to take his lens off and make your lens fit his housing fairly decently... thats all man

2002AmSE
03-01-2004, 05:08 PM
Okay, what exactly am I getting if I buy the ones you are selling? How will I get them on?

At first I thought I was getting the whole piece but without the "light holding" thing attached

How would I go about attaching them when i get them from you?

illsmokeyou
03-01-2004, 05:58 PM
ok sorry, but the *** cleartails were a bit off topic anyhow.

to clarify what you are getting is ONLY the lens........ LENS ONLY..... meaning that you will have to separate your stock broken lens from your housing *like you doing the clear tails mod*, and then silicone back the lens I give you..... but since theyre both off SE housings, there shouldnt be ANY modifications needed..... just glue

Yes ...... it requires work...... but $20 for 2 lenses beats the hell out of paying $98 + shipping @ gmpartsdirect for a brand new tail

2002AmSE
03-01-2004, 07:26 PM
yeah, i know, i was just wondering because the other guy just made it sound like it might be a rough edge or something, so I just cut the rubber thing right?

I'm going to send you another PM right now

illsmokeyou
03-01-2004, 07:40 PM
cut the rubber gasket out, and then separate *CAREFULLY* the 2 halves using a utility knife or putty knife

2002AmSE
03-01-2004, 07:48 PM
okay, sounds easy enough

2002AmSE
03-02-2004, 08:07 AM
Check for the PM i sent you

illsmokeyou
03-05-2004, 05:21 AM
OK, I tried to get the lens off perfectly, and I was unsucsessful in doing so.

I glued it at one point where it cracked, and its not even noticeable, I can send you a pic if you like, and just give me $20, and ill take care of the shipping

Ironically I still have the driverside tail whole right now, and I distinctly remember you saying that you need the right (passenger side) light, which is the one that I hacked away at. :rolleyes:

keep me informed

illsmokeyou
03-05-2004, 02:41 PM
ok, ive got both sides off now, ill upload a pic in about a half hour, get back to me

illsmokeyou
03-05-2004, 03:58 PM
heres both sides

illsmokeyou
03-05-2004, 04:01 PM
and the *damaged* passengers side, again its barely even noticable unless you take a very close inspection

illsmokeyou
03-06-2004, 11:38 AM
at those 3 points, but like I said, its barely even noticeable