Rubbing sound still not sure?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Rubbing sound still not sure??

nd4spd
02-28-2004, 07:55 PM
Arrrgh! Well this rubbing sound has gotten worse. Sounds like it is coming from the front left tire while driving. Mechanic said my brakes are fine, not sure what it is. I replaced my hub last year, but this is a constant rubbing sound, like I have big monster truck tires on or something. Someone said my tires might be cupped, but these are brand new, not even 1,000 miles on em, I think I am just going to replace my hubs again. Not sure what to do.

BLACK99GT/ROB
02-28-2004, 08:04 PM
Do you have GY RSA's?I know that the older Good Year RSA's had a defect in them that they were supposed to have fixed in the new RSA's they now manufacture.

nd4spd
02-28-2004, 08:18 PM
Nope new sumitomo HTR tires, said they were pretty good so I bought em.

BLACK99GT/ROB
02-28-2004, 08:21 PM
Hope you figure it out,I have no clue what it could be.I have had so many noises with my car that I barely have any hair left trying to figure them out!! LOL

nd4spd
02-28-2004, 09:04 PM
Yea I know its so damn annoying, I am blowing a gasket, course mine are shot on my car as well :(

fast_ga
02-29-2004, 08:35 AM
Hey man your car under any warranty still? Hubs are not cheap as im sure you know! Dont do anything drastic till you find out for sure whats up. Just make sure you check everything and make sure nothing is rubbing on anything in the front wheel wells and half shafts and anything rotating. Does the noise change at all when you are doing 40 50 MPH or so and you go around a slight curve in the road?? Usually thats a good sign its a wheel bearing. You might wanna check for play in both front bearings to, but just because a bearing is bad and noisy doesnt mean its going to be loose and have play, i've seen em go bad and still be tight as hell just noisy. Good luck man

nd4spd
02-29-2004, 06:02 PM
well I am noticing it is getting louder the faster I drive, nothing when I turn. I just dont know what to do when mechanics are not sure either :(. Geesh

matts
02-29-2004, 08:55 PM
this is just kind of a shot in the dark, but my mom's car had a rubbing noise and it was the caliper. it wasn't sticking bad enough to jerk the car or anything, but it had just enough pressure to make noises. i jacked the car up and took the wheels off and the passenger side would kinda spin slow then speed up and then it'd slow back down and then it'd stop and just be sparatic like that. and when i was driving the car it had enough pressure on it to keep it constantly pushing against the rotor, causing the rotor to heat up and that in turn warped the rotor. i've got to take it and get it fixed this week.

the noise is kind of a grinding noise. sounds like the tire was rubbing up against the strut or something like that.