HELP!!!! Serpintine Belt [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!! Serpintine Belt

Kodeblue
02-29-2004, 01:54 PM
OK, I am in the middle of changing the serp belt. I am doing the method of removing one bolt and loosening the other. I am now in the middle of a problem. Where the tensioner is, I cannot get the ratchet in there because it is too close to the inner fender well, I guess that is what that is. ANy ideas??

Thanks

Black Z28
02-29-2004, 02:37 PM
use a longer wrench? when i had my GA and i replaced the alternator, i just stuck my hand down there with a regular wrench and turned it.

Kodeblue
02-29-2004, 03:03 PM
In the picture here (http://www.grandamgt.com/belt.html) , what bolts am I suppose to loosen, the right side or the left side? I was doing the right side. By the wat, I finally got the ratchet in and it is stuck in there now because the lack of space. It will come back out when I get the belt put back on.

Vince
02-29-2004, 03:06 PM
Do you have a breaker bar? I think a rachet will fit too, barely though. Use a 3/8 inch rachet head and put in the the square opening below the bolt, two to three inches. rotate it counterclockwise, and that will loosen the belt enough to get ot off the alternator. If you rachet ain't long enough, just extend it with a pipe or something over it.

Vince
02-29-2004, 03:12 PM
Take off the bolts right next to the pully. Since your gonna lower it a little, it will go down leaving a gap to slide the belt in and out. Take a good look around it to make sure there's nothing in the way to slide the belt in and out. make your the motor is on a jack too before you loosen the bolts. Once you have the other belt in, lift it and tighten s soon as possible.

Kodeblue
02-29-2004, 03:28 PM
What a focking job this is. I got the tensioner loose belt off except through the top mount. I loosened the bolts, with the jack under the motor andthe whole car is moving so I am going to put the car under stands so I can see better under the more to make sure I am not catching the frame too. Almost about to call it quits, put the old one back together and let GM do it, lol.

Vince
02-29-2004, 03:48 PM
You need stands to hold the car up, otherwise it'll just come down all together. I assumed you had stands on. Are you using two jacks, one for the car and one for the motor? If so, not a good idea, like you found out. Put stands on and apply the e-brake after it's on the stand. That' will hold it in place. Just make sure you release the e-brake before you lower it back down.

Kodeblue
02-29-2004, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the tips Vince. I put everything back together because I was afraid of losing daylight and I need the car for work tomorrow. Since I have some pretty good hours at work, I will try it again there tomorrow. I will put the car on stands and hope that will be easier.

By the way, the problem I was having, I could not get the belt between the mounts because of that rubber piece on the frame side of the mount. If I can raise the motor, that should give me the clearance I need.

Thanks again.

Gerbster
03-01-2004, 07:45 AM
If you can't fit the wrench in there, I've used a light rope to pull the tensioner back. Its easiest if you have another person pull the rope and then you can switch the belt. The rope puller can stand well in front of the car and hold the tensioner back and you will have plenty of time to switch the belts. I also found its easier just to take both bolts out at once on the motor mount rather than trying to do one at a time. Just jack up the engine and take the bolts out then lower the jack until you get a inch of clearance.

71Z28RS
03-01-2004, 01:24 PM
They make a special tensioner bar to get to the pulley. It's basically a thin bar with a square welded at one end and a rubber handle on the other. I got mine at Murrays for $16. Just go to a parts store and explain what you're doing and they should know what to get you. And yes, you need to loosen the motor mount and jack up the engine to get the belt off all the way. I had to take off part of the alternator bracket too. Not a hard job, just way more time consuming than a belt job should be.

replica9000
07-02-2004, 03:37 PM
I just did my belt, I had that damn NY and CA emisions crap in my way. That made in a pain in the...