Intake Gasket question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Intake Gasket question

XMBlackGT1
02-29-2004, 04:01 PM
I have a 2003 GT with 20,400 miles that is going in for its second lower intake gasket replacement tomorrow. The first one was about 500 miles ago, and they couldnt get me in for 3 weeks, so I drove it in its leaking state, having to add Dex Cool several times. Now, last week, I started to smell coolant inside the car, and the telltale low coolant light came back on. Once again, Ive been adding coolant to keep it where it should be. It goes in for repair Monday, so hopefully they fix it correctly this time. Now, to my question- what damage does driving the car with dex-cool mixing with the oil do to the car? I am curious, because I dont want a half *** fix done. I am sure that if I asked Pontaic, they would tell me that there wont be any problems. What I'm curious about is if the coolant in the oil could have already done damage to the engine. Thanks for any advice. later- shawn

Vince
02-29-2004, 04:22 PM
I'm assuming it's still under warranty, and the dealer fixed it the first time right. Since you notified them about it, check your oil before you take it in. It might not have leaked into the oil, but if it did, raise hell when you take it in, since they made you wait a couple of weeks. It can cause major damage to your engine, metal to metal grinding with no lubrication. I'm sure someone else on here will add.

2002AmSE
03-01-2004, 06:26 PM
Yeah, after your done driving it sometime, open your oil cap, if you've added coolant several times you will be noticing some very ugly oil. Raise hell with the dealer, and maybe with GM(although I don't know that process)!

XMBlackGT1
03-01-2004, 06:59 PM
Took it to the dealership today, they told me they pressure tested the system for 45 minutes and found no leaks. They said they did see a little coolant in the oil, but did nothing about it, since they couldnt find a problem. Usually coolant in with the oil does signify a problem, so who knows whats gonna happen now. I may take it to a different pontiac dealership and see what they find. Its frustrating when you know something is wrong and the dealership wont fix it.

craig02GAGT
03-02-2004, 07:20 AM
They found coolant in the oil but couldn't find a problem? Thats pretty sad... Coolant in the oil is a problem. I would definetly switch dealerships.

XMBlackGT1
03-02-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by craig02GAGT
They found coolant in the oil but couldn't find a problem? Thats pretty sad... Coolant in the oil is a problem. I would definetly switch dealerships.

In addition to not finding that problem, now, since I left the dealership, the horn doesnt work, the rear speakers in the car dont work at all, the head unit wont give me my cd back, and the xm is not continuous- breaks in service. So, they get one more chance tomorrow AM, or its to a diff dealership.

craig02GAGT
03-02-2004, 08:04 PM
I would switch now... If they didn't want to fix it when they found coolant in the oil I doubt they will be much help.

XMBlackGT1
03-03-2004, 07:42 PM
Took it back to the dealership today to have them fix what needed to be fixed. Well, I get a call at work on my cell in which my service advisor said something about Warranty block, Severe frontal impact, Dents in frame . None of this was disclosed to me when I purchased the vehicle. I did run a carfax on it, but it said nothing about any of this fun stuff. Accidents are only reported if they go through insurance. They claim that they found a bunch of aftermarket parts in the car, some dents and a bunch of stuff bent under the hood, black paint on engine compartments (from body work), things not properly alligned. There is a block in the computer- saying significant damage has occured to the vehicle- but a CLEAR title, which confuses me. Basically, nothign else that goes wrong will be fixed, none of today's repairs were fixed, and they told that the damage under car could affect things in the future. Plus, I had to pay for all of the hours of work they put into it today. Now it all makes sense- thats why the car leaked, and why the whole front end doesnt look quite right as far as being lined up properly. I called the dealership I purchased the car from, he is going to speak with his service advisor and get the car in to get some stuff looked at. But, I did tell him that if I were going to continue to have problems with the car, I wanted to get rid of it. We shall see what happens. Just thought I'd give you an update.