Trans questions [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Trans questions

DarkKnight
03-02-2004, 01:31 AM
OK, I have a project I'm working on. I *thought* I had a 4t45e from an '01 GAGT. However, I am having a serious issue locating a proper driveaxle for it. According to every parts place I go to, the 4t45e's uses the same axle for both the pass and driver side that looks like this (one male end to go to the hub, one female end to go to the trans)

http://www.rockauto.com/ref/Cardone/601123.jpg

The problem is, I need one with two male ends for the pass side. It's like the older 4t60e's and THC125C's that used a female shaft end for the driver's side, and a male end on the pass side.

The trans output I have looks like this (yes I know I need a new seal, and it's dirty -- details, details.)

http://home.earthlink.net/~chucky939/images/passoutput.jpg

Here is a picture of my transmission on a pallet. This picture was taken when I bought it.

http://www.domesticcrew.com/tony/transpage/Trans%20Pics/i-18.jpg

So can anyone tell me WTF is going on here? Do I actually have a 4t45e? If so, why can't I locate the right shaft? This is becoming seriously disturbing.

v6h.o.
03-02-2004, 01:50 PM
your missing your stub shaft for the axle is what the problem is

on the 4t45e Passenger side the Transmission and Axle both have female ends.

there is a short 3-4 inch long "stub shaft" that fits into both of these and connnects the two.

there is also a special axle seal/stub seal kit that has both the axle shaft seal and a new slide on stub shaft seal for those.

as im sure you've noticed the axle seal is quite large, this is due to the lack of the stub shaft seal that fits in there.

DarkKnight
03-03-2004, 05:25 PM
Alright, I can't seem to locate an intermediate shaft. No one sells it. Anyone have a spare one to part with, or can get me a good price on one?

dongalonga
04-02-2005, 02:59 PM
bringing this back from the dead. i have the same prob and need a new one. does anyone know the gm part number for this or where to get one. possible gm parts direct?

DarkKnight
04-04-2005, 07:19 PM
Wow, over a year has passed since I posted this, where has the time gone?? :meh:

Dong, you can order one through GMPD. Be sure to get the seal kit with it. I have the P#'s written down somewhere, I'll post them when I find them. Alternativly, you can buy a passenger axle from an alero. The alero didn't use the stub shaft, and instead used a male ended CV joint. I have verified that this would work, but I decided to use the stub shaft since I had ordered it before finding out that bit of information. Also, if you really want the stub shaft to keep it original I'd be willing to part with mine because I have the parts needed if I don't want to use it. You'll have to get the seal kit though, which is only a few dollars anyway, because I already used mine.

dongalonga
04-05-2005, 11:11 AM
kool if you can get me the part number i would appreciate it alot. how much did it run ya?

DarkKnight
04-06-2005, 03:20 PM
I haven't found the part number yet, but the stub shaft was $80+S&H and the seal kit was like $12+S&H

dongalonga
04-06-2005, 03:45 PM
how much do you want for the one you have with shipping to zip code 13642?

dongalonga
04-06-2005, 05:15 PM
is this the part? the number is 24200734 and it costs 74.52 at gmpartsdirect.com