Idle overheat [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Idle overheat

2002AmSE
03-02-2004, 06:42 AM
Hey guys, This problem has just started to crop up and I don't know what to think about it

I will drive around, light acceleration and normal driving(whether city or highway), and when I stop and idle after only about 5 minutes my temperature gauge will crawl to the third THICK mark (the thick mark between 200 and 260)... I find this incredibly alarming and I know this didn't do this over the winter or last summer either. It's when its at a standard idle with no accessories or air/heat or anything. What should I do about this.. My car is under warrenty, but I want to know what might cause this to happen because it rises so quickly!

I have newer oil in it and theres no coolant in the oil(just checked), and my air filter is clean, what could be wrong... I was thinking thermostat, but then I though that it wouldn't make much sense because it runs perfectly at 200 degrees the entire time it's moving.

Suggestions to what is wrong?

PACE
03-02-2004, 08:31 AM
I would either put in a low temp thermostat or just take it to the dealership.....

2002AmSE
03-02-2004, 08:52 AM
Yeah, ill be taking it to the dealership, but I am just wondering how it can possibly be getting so hot that fast

2000GA
03-02-2004, 09:15 AM
try leaving it on the defroster setting not to off then the high speed fans should come one since the defroster engages the ac comp.

01silverGT
03-02-2004, 09:34 AM
auctually that would only be getting to about 220 degrees which is normal for sitting as long as the fans came on and lowered it back to 200 and it didn't go past that 3rd dash your normal....i had the same thing here!

2002AmSE
03-02-2004, 03:11 PM
It got to the 4th dash past the thick 200 degree line today and didn't start going down so i got a little freaked and spun around the block a few times and then turned it off after it cooled down on the road instead of idling it

VaGT
03-04-2004, 08:55 AM
Mine does it as well. The fan kicks on when it gets too high.

If you are nervous about it, just kick on the AC for a couple minutes (it starts the fan).

safemode
03-04-2004, 09:23 AM
screw turning the AC on, that turns the compressor on and draws power from the car, just turn the hot air on and the fan speed at 1 or 2. Should keep you in the 200 range even when in heavy traffic. I suggest you open all your windows though or you'll pass out from the heat. In either case, the factory settings wont turn the fan on until it gets into the 220+ range.

And as i, and many others, dont memorize how many "lines or ticks" there are on the guages, use degrees instead of numbers of lines. It's not hard to figure out what the number should be since it's all evenly divided. If you're using dexcool then all is well. Water based coolants wont like the temps as they get far above boiling (212 something ......stupid Fahrenheit scale).

2002AmSE
03-04-2004, 09:36 AM
turning the a/c on doesn't turn my fans on, even when its a good deal past the 200 mark, it only turns the fan on when it hits its turn-on temp of 225 or whatever

Panacea
03-04-2004, 11:21 AM
Turning the A/C on my old saturn turned the aux. fan on and it helped cool it down... It would keep climbing and not turn on by itself.