Power Steering Pump Question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Pump Question

jduce
03-02-2004, 04:35 PM
My car uses a Variable Assist Steer Actuator on the bottom of the power steering pump itself. AutoZone doesn't sell either the actuator by itself or a full kit (pump, reservoir, actuator)

I ordered an Actuator from the dealership and I'll have a new pump w/reservoir all tomorrow.

My question is, will this work... is there 2 different pumps that work with the variable steering or non variable steering. Or. Is it just the difference of whether or not it has the actuator on it?

jduce
03-02-2004, 08:18 PM
Sorry, did some research... it's Variable Effort Steering Actuator.

action
03-03-2004, 12:24 PM
I think all these cars have the same set up. The pump is very easy to replace. Put a jack under the engine to hold it while you remove the motor mount from the car. Then take off the belt, loosen the PS line with the wrench fitting, unplug the wire connector. Take out the 3 bolts that hold the pump to the engine by lining up the holes in the pully with each bolt one at a time.

Remove pump and installation is reverse of this.

jduce
03-03-2004, 03:19 PM
K, mannnn I must've gotten a bad reservoir from autozone the first time. I'm leaving now to exchange it, I picked up my new actuator too, wish me luck!!!

Thanks Action

action
03-04-2004, 12:00 PM
No sweat, I had to replace mine a couple weeks ago because the shaft cracked off. Good job I didn't listen to the garge I took it to that told me it was the power steering rack!!!

Rack = $300CDN (new rebuilt) + 6hrs labour
Pump = $70CDN (used) + 1hr of my own labour

Any questions, let me know.