Grand Prix engine in Grand Am? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Grand Prix engine in Grand Am?

tenstrum
03-02-2004, 05:28 PM
Just out of curiosity...
Does anyone know what it would take to put a 3.8 L supercharged Grand Prix engine into a Grand Am? Would it even hook up without modifying the hell out of the power train? What all would have to be modified?
Year wise, 99-03 models.

Thanx,
Tenstrum

mzrmatt
03-02-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by tenstrum
Just out of curiosity...
Does anyone know what it would take to put a 3.8 L supercharged Grand Prix engine into a Grand Am?
Thanx,
Tenstrum

Lots of money :thumbs:

lol

kamikaz16
03-02-2004, 06:35 PM
Lots of money and extensive use of the SEAAAARRRCCCHHH button :)

tenstrum
03-02-2004, 07:48 PM
I'm asking a serious question and would appreciate serious responses.

tenstrum
03-02-2004, 08:06 PM
forget i asked.
nothing wrong with humor as long as it's funny (no sh*t about needing money, duh!).
I was more curious about the 3.8 fitting into the engine bay, how the power train might/might not match up, whether the drive train would need to be modified.
(this might be easier AND cheaper than trying to put a supercharger on the existing engine)
If you don't have any technical information to contribute, please don't waste my time or forum space.

tenstrum

Black4drGT
03-02-2004, 08:15 PM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19403&highlight=grand+prix+engine

stanjk3
03-03-2004, 12:05 AM
forget i asked.
nothing wrong with humor as long as it's funny (no sh*t about needing money, duh!).
I was more curious about the 3.8 fitting into the engine bay, how the power train might/might not match up, whether the drive train would need to be modified.
(this might be easier AND cheaper than trying to put a supercharger on the existing engine)
If you don't have any technical information to contribute, please don't waste my time or forum space.

tenstrum

It's been discussed before, no it wouldn't be cheaper than buying a SC made for our engine.
Same as with trying to swap a manual tranny, it's cheaper to just trade in your GA for another car/model.

PontiacGT2K
03-03-2004, 12:08 AM
They were being serious....this has been talked about extensively.

You'd need the GP motor and tranny. You'd need new half shafts. New mounts. Extensive computer work.

So....lots of money.....and lots of search button (it's been kicked around like nobodies business).

tenstrum
03-03-2004, 02:07 PM
yeah, i figured in everything but the computer problem. didn't even think of that. Damn those computers!!!!
Thanks for the 'useful' info!!!

tenstrum

PontiacGT2K
03-03-2004, 02:14 PM
yeah, i figured in everything but the computer problem. didn't even think of that. Damn those computers!!!!
Thanks for the 'useful' info!!!

tenstrum Uhm.... 'you're welcome'