Safe to buy first year generation? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Safe to buy first year generation?

rizer
03-03-2004, 05:25 PM
Hey guys, just got a question. IVe had people tell me not to buy a 99 GAGT due to it being the first year of the new generation. Is it worth being safe and getting a 2k+ or does the 99 have no problems when over 80k miles and should not be worried?

Thanks!

zeddsdead
03-03-2004, 07:37 PM
the 99 has basically the same issues throughout the later generations.

check for leaking lower intake manifold gasket. look at those rotors for warpage. look for scratched windows. have the alternator looked at. power windows working ok.

i think i mentioned most of the common stuff.

fear187
03-03-2004, 07:52 PM
Scratched windows? .. I noticed with my car.. that the driver window.. when it goes up and down theres a scratch on the window..... what causes that in the door?.. any ideas? at first I thought maybe sand or something got caught between the rubber thingy.. and the window... but eh, haven't really used my windows all that much considering it's been winter

lucky13rme
03-03-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by fear187
Scratched windows? .. I noticed with my car.. that the driver window.. when it goes up and down theres a scratch on the window..... what causes that in the door?.. any ideas? at first I thought maybe sand or something got caught between the rubber thingy.. and the window... but eh, haven't really used my windows all that much considering it's been winter

basically it's a crappy gm design flaw.

AznGA
03-03-2004, 08:21 PM
It's a good idea to stay away from first year models because they would fix most of the problems for the following year.

I had my windows replaced for scratches..but they are happening again...at least it happens on the outside.

matts
03-03-2004, 08:38 PM
i dont really agree with you AznGA, at least with GA's. i've known of people having 2000 that have MANY more problems than my gf has with her 99.

but 9/10 of the time you're right. the first year is usually full of flaws and kinks that have to be worked out.

and 80K could be help or hinderence. at 80K most of the major problems like the intake gasket should have been taken care of, but new problems are starting to arise. i.e. altenator, etc.....stuff that wears out is starting to wear out if not properly taken care of

Gt00
03-03-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by zeddsdead
the 99 has basically the same issues throughout the later generations.

check for leaking lower intake manifold gasket. look at those rotors for warpage. look for scratched windows. have the alternator looked at. power windows working ok.

i think i mentioned most of the common stuff. Don't forget the cold start piston slap issues and the groovy RSA tires ....:D

AznGA
03-03-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by matts
i dont really agree with you AznGA, at least with GA's. i've known of people having 2000 that have MANY more problems than my gf has with her 99.

but 9/10 of the time you're right. the first year is usually full of flaws and kinks that have to be worked out.

and 80K could be help or hinderence. at 80K most of the major problems like the intake gasket should have been taken care of, but new problems are starting to arise. i.e. altenator, etc.....stuff that wears out is starting to wear out if not properly taken care of
I guess for us, it works backwards. Like mounting black Alero mirrors for mid-2002 models...no more glove box lock/lumber adjuster starting 2003 models.

:D

2002AmSE
03-04-2004, 08:20 AM
Theres a way to "properly take care of" an alternator?? They are going to go out after about 50k most likely anyway, it's a common GM thing for alternators to die a few times in the cars life

acdc1a
03-04-2004, 10:24 AM
that 50K benchmark is about right. The good news is if you do the repair yourself, you'll only be set back about $100. Make sure you DO NOT buy a re-worked alternator, but instead a good aftermarket. You don't want to buy another 50K alternator!

2002AmSE
03-04-2004, 03:04 PM
We got an alternator with a lifetime warrenty on it when our other GA had it go at 50k miles, those are very easy to replace, but there was some clip thing that we just broke off and zip-tied to something else because we couldn't figure out how we were supposed to release it, but easy to do. LIM gaskets on the other hand, umm, not easy(at least mine went once under warrenty instead of out of warrenty, 25k miles)...

matts
03-04-2004, 08:22 PM
why are you replacing altenators at 50K miles?? i must be doing something bad wrong to get it to last twice as long :p.

and i didn't mean maintain an altenator, but there's a difference between taking care of something and abusing it.

Panacea
03-05-2004, 12:19 AM
I have a 99 and I haven't had nearly as many problems as people have had with their 99's, 00's, 01's, 02's, and 03's.

It's just a luck of the draw I guess.