speaking of coolant.. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : speaking of coolant..

brim
03-03-2004, 05:33 PM
So I've had somewhat ****ty coolant a while now. My low coolant light came on a while ago and I've checked it, was a little low. I've had this alero for about 23,000 miles now, peakin around 75,000 at this point. I took it to pep boys since I have nowhere to flush it right now, they had a price $30 less than jiffy lube, however they wouldn't even touch it. They looked at it, said it was contaminated and called me back to take it out of there.

(don't want to get their hands dirty apparently, go pep boys!)

I added just a little bit of coolant the other day, no more light, although the coolant still looks dark. I'm thinking about draining it and flushing it myself now at my buddy's house. I've been doing oil changes every 3-4,000 miles and i've seen nothing wrong with my oil.

Is it possible the coolant could have just gone ****ty after a while. There's been some crud buildup on the cap, the coolant is lookin a little murky.

Also,

Anyone done a writeup on replacing the gasket if it comes up, I'm bringing into the dealer next week to have them find out what the problem is exactly. Somewhat a novice still. Read though my hanes book a few times I guess that's about it with my knowledge on the internals. I know some people have replaced the lower intake gasket themselves, any suggestions on this one?

and yeah, i know it's common for coolant probs. It's just my inner alero tellin me "THERE'S NOTHIN WRONG WITH ME I SWEAR!"

I want to believe the little guy, i do. :rolleyes:

Black2K1GT
03-03-2004, 05:39 PM
Change the gaskets and then flush your system.

Greed4Speed
03-03-2004, 05:46 PM
Yes the coolant caps go bad, but I would still flush the system and put fresh coolant in.