Mechanism on column to activate horn [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Mechanism on column to activate horn

nonchron
03-03-2004, 07:00 PM
Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows what this mechanism looks like on a 2000 Grand Am, and if it looks like this -> http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29697

Does pressing the center of the wheel push a small disk forward to depress a small metal piece on the left side of the turn signal assembly?

zeddsdead
03-04-2004, 12:49 PM
i can't answer your question but incase u are having trouble with your horn not working properly i suggest checking/replacing the relay. goodluck.

nonchron
03-18-2004, 10:12 PM
Turns out the spring-loaded metal bar on the TSA touching the disk is the electrical contact for the horn.

Fixed it.

illsmokeyou
03-18-2004, 10:44 PM
:thumbs:

im sure that makes the members that had off topic puns in reguard to your question in that thread feel like corpses with subnormal intelligence..... not to mention the waste of space

I wonder do you have any pics of what it looks like under there? Im having horn troubles as well

nonchron
03-21-2004, 08:40 PM
I'll take pics tomorrow if I can remember.

nonchron
03-29-2004, 09:24 PM
Finally got around to taking these..

The first depicts the three bolts that have to be removed via either a torque head or a socket.

The second depicts what it'll look like after you squeeze/pop the top off - I don't know what the mechanism to get it off cleanly is. I just kinda wedged it off. Electrical connections noted.

Third pic shows the matings/contact points of the Turn Signal Assembly to the column. These are the parts that you can screw up when putting it back after either openning it and cleaning the gunk off if you have a malfunctioning turnsignal (clicks 'randomly') or if you remove it for some other reason.

Things to watch out for on reinstallation:

The plastic points that fit into metal seatings snap easily. Be careful.
Also, note that my horn contact is bent and forced inward this should stick out and be spring loaded. You need to push it in manually while sliding the unit back on so that it is not ontop of the disk when you screw the unit in - this is how mine got owned.

Lastly, if the TSA unit is not in securely enough, straightenning the wheel after a turn will not press the plastic lever that returns the turn signal lever to its neutral position. You can play with this bit to see how it works.

nonchron
03-29-2004, 09:26 PM
pic 2 - top of TSA

nonchron
03-29-2004, 09:33 PM
oh yeah - that screw ontop of the assembly is the same as the three used under the column..

lastly and most importantly, the connections ->

Note that I 'fixed' mine by poking out the jammed horn contact from the other side using my pipe tool (straightenner paper clip might work), and then bending the copper disk gently outwards to make contact all the way around - I had horn at certain wheel positions, but not others. It would not have allowed me to beep at slow folk who don't move on green, nor to scare a blind person in the middle of a crosswalk. Not that I'd do that.