Random Turn Signal Ticking... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Random Turn Signal Ticking...

jduce
03-04-2004, 06:51 PM
When I'm driving the sound it makes when you have your turn signal or hazards on just goes off randomly... and without rhythm like it does when the turn signal is on?

Any thoughts?

2002AmSE
03-04-2004, 07:57 PM
The search button will find many threads about this, it is the turn stalk inside the steering wheel that needs to be replaced, i'm not sure how much it costs, but I personally have had it doing it for a good deal of miles, but ill get it fixed before my warrenty goes out, but you have to pay for it, maybe someone can tell you what it cost them to fix it

AznGA
03-04-2004, 10:43 PM
I had this problem too. They replaced the signal lever and it fixed it.

replica9000
03-09-2004, 07:36 PM
Could be your hazard switch, the ticking comes from that and sometimes goes retarded. That might be alot easier to fix if it's the problem.

2002_AWhiteGT1
03-09-2004, 09:44 PM
Hazard switch indeed. I had mine replaced under warranty and it stopped.

AaronGAGT
03-09-2004, 09:51 PM
I've posted this same thing about 25234 times.

Theres 2 things that could be causing this.

1)The hazard button. The relay inside it might be bad so you gotta replace the whole button since its built in. I'd try this one first...

2)By replacing the switch on the column. If you need one, I'd suggest http://www.car-part.com . It's actually one BIG switch which includes turn signal lever and wiper switch. If you remove the cover over the steering colum (3 screws from bottom),you'll see it. It wraps over the top of the steering shaft and is held in by a screw in the top. Remove the screw and unplug the connectors. I'd look at a junkyard for a replacement. I think they are like $120-$150 at the dealer

Vince
03-10-2004, 12:50 AM
Before spending money on the BIG Switch, funny cause it really is big, but take it off, unscrew the box, carefull cause theres a spring inside, so I only opened it enough to get a napkin in there, and clean the copper terminals off, I did this nearly a year ago, and clicking stoped after that and hasn't come back. Although the clicking was coming from the hazard switch, it was the relay,BIg Switch, causing the problem. But I didn't have to buy another one. Just a suggestion, and won't cost anything but 30 to 45 minutes of your time.

sierra02
03-10-2004, 02:59 PM
I just had my hazard switch and turn signal control lever replaced and the clicking stopped. I really don't know which one was bad.

Gt00
03-10-2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Vince
Before spending money on the BIG Switch, funny cause it really is big, but take it off, unscrew the box, carefull cause theres a spring inside, so I only opened it enough to get a napkin in there, and clean the copper terminals off, I did this nearly a year ago, and clicking stoped after that and hasn't come back. Although the clicking was coming from the hazard switch, it was the relay,BIg Switch, causing the problem. But I didn't have to buy another one. Just a suggestion, and won't cost anything but 30 to 45 minutes of your time. What was on the contacts , oil or something that can be wiped off :confused: Sounds like whatever it was was perhaps conducting current across the contacts and causing the hazard switch to click .

jduce
03-10-2004, 07:10 PM
I spilled capuccino in mine lol. I haven't had a chance to clean it yet, but I believe it'll work. I'll repost either way.

Gt00
03-10-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by jduce
I spilled capuccino in mine lol. lol

Vince
03-10-2004, 11:00 PM
Your right, it's some black stuff on there that makes kinda like a bridge between the contacts, causing the clicking every now and then. Just wipe that stuff off, well, that and the capuccino, and see what happens.

SwatZeR
03-13-2004, 01:23 PM
I had this probelm with my GA and they first replaced the Hazard switch, but that didn't fix it.

Then they replaced the multi-function switch and viola! No more clicking!