Idle Problem - plus morre :-( [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Idle Problem - plus morre :-(

gasev6ho
03-07-2004, 03:49 PM
Hello group.

I tried a search, but I guess I am not so good at that.

My 99 SE V6 has had an odd idle problem recently. It used to idle normally when warm at 800 rpm or so. Now when I turn the car on, it idles at 1100, even when warm. Also, at times the idle increases to around 1200 or so in drive. If I put the car in Neutral, It jumps to 1700 idle. If I put the car in park and turn it off and restart it, is usually goes back to normal (800) rpm idle. This has happened quite frequently lately, and I am now worried. Could this be a throttle position sensor problem? If so, how do you fix/replace that part. If not, any ideas what else could be causing this? The first time it happened it was very cold and I thought something just got frozen stuck, but lately it's been in the 60's so that can't be the case.

Thanks in advance for any information you may be able to provide.

Chris

P.S. - (unrelated) - when I drive the car a while, so it's nice and warm, turn it off, and go to drive it again, that car has a hard time finding first. And second. In drive it will rev very high before it engages, and seems like it's slipping. I really don't trust transmission places around here, but any ideas on this? I was going to get a fluid exchange anyway, would that help this problem?

Thanks again!!

Chris :banghead

Dr_Kyle
03-07-2004, 05:16 PM
I think you are correct, it's probably your TPS. That could cause the second thing you mentioned and certainly wouldn't help the first. As for the idle, you may have a dirty IAC valve. I see you have a 99 so it's possible that there's just a bunch of gunk built up on the IAC.

My vote is on the TPS.

gasev6ho
03-07-2004, 06:10 PM
Thank you Dr. Kyle, you have a PM

How does one clean the IAC? I have no idea what or where that is. Also, can the TPS be repaired by a relative non-mechanic?

:stupid:

thank you!
Chris

2002AmSE
03-07-2004, 08:58 PM
Mine does what your car is describing, it idles at 1200 rpm for the first 2 mins or so even if its 80 degrees out like most of last summer, including when I have it in gear, I could actually start the car, put it in gear and it would accelerate enough to go into second gear without any gas peddle actuation and continue up to 25mph, all off the 1200rpm "idle" that my car holds for those first few mins then it goes back to its normal actual idle of 600rpm. I didn't really think this was a concern, but maybe ill call my dealer up and see what they say

Blackrider
03-08-2004, 01:16 PM
First Problem sounds like the IAC mine did the same thing, it wasent dirty i had to replace it