Head Unit Exchange [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Head Unit Exchange

StephenM
03-08-2004, 06:16 AM
I have a quick question. I have a 3 year-old Kenwood Excelon Cd player, with the MASK and built in equalizer (the real expensive one). Anyways, I currently have the factory radio in mu grand am, the Delphi with the equalizer on it. I was wondering if you guys would recommend putting the Kenwood in or leaving the Delphi in. I know I lose the steering wheel buttons, but would it still sound ok? What are your thoughts on it? Thanks for your opinions!

klc317
03-08-2004, 11:01 AM
This will probably get moved to the audio section, but....I'm pretty sure I've heard of an installation kit that retains the use of the steering wheel controls. Also, if you have a high end head unit it will un-doubtedly sound much better than the factory radio. Plus since it probably has RCA outputs, adding an amp or two later on will be a peice of cake. Since you have a non-Monsoon equipped car, it is an easy swap. I would also upgrade the factory speakers with some nice 3-way 4x6s (or 6 1/2s) in the front doors and put some nice 3-way 6x9s in the rear deck.

71Z28RS
03-08-2004, 11:25 AM
Do a search for the steering wheel controls. I have also seen it discussed before and some guys were talking about a specific kit for it. It probably says where to find it too.

Good luck.