Rain in my CAI [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Rain in my CAI

underthegun
10-16-2002, 11:12 AM
Installed the CAI 2 weeks ago, and its been fine. The past few days it has been raining, and today I was driving back to work, doing like 40mph, and my car down shiffted violently. Then I got on the gas pretty hard and it did it again. First thing I checked was the CAI cone filter, and the dam thing is soaking wet, which is not good.

How do you all NOT get water in your CAI when it rains? Ive searched and searched and it seems no one has had this problem.

It wasnt even raining that hard today, but there were quite a few puddles on the road.

I used the civic short ram intake and followed the directions on n-body.net. So what do I do now, how do I solve this?

Thanks everyone,

Jared

Mekkahfire
10-16-2002, 11:22 AM
what size engine?

underthegun
10-16-2002, 11:24 AM
My car is a 2002 GAGT with the 3.4.

Marty
10-16-2002, 11:28 AM
Did you put the gutter guard mesh on the corners of the front bumper where the they have the two recessed things? If you did that every time that you hit a puddle than the filter would get soaked.

underthegun
10-16-2002, 11:41 AM
yea i do have the gutter guards up front...so I guess the only way around it would be to take it off?? Theres gotta be a better way...

Thanks

jaketuff
10-16-2002, 11:48 AM
I am in the NYC Metro. It s POURING today and I have driven about 25 miles in rain so far. No problems at all. I never have hada discernable problem with water in the CAI.

Although my filter does get soaked. I suppose that I oil my filter a lot, maybe that helps? I would try that the oil should help deflect the water and prevent the filter from being totally soaked.

Pat

underthegun
10-16-2002, 11:51 AM
what type of damage could result from water entering the engine??

nnewton123
10-16-2002, 12:07 PM
which filter do you have???

underthegun
10-16-2002, 12:25 PM
Im not sure of the name, but it came from autozone, its a high-flow ricey cone filter, the one that n-body.net has pictured in the tech section.

Watch4MyBu
10-16-2002, 12:33 PM
if your engine ingests water it is time for a new engine. Pistons can'tcompress water and to make it simple it goes boom..Get an aem bypass valve for peace of mind

nnewton123
10-16-2002, 12:34 PM
I know everyone who has said they have had a problem has been using a cheaper filter. haven't heard of anyone with a k&n, or powerstack filter run into any problems. Maybe you could try swapping to one of those and see if it solves the problem. I have driven around in the rain quite a bit and have had no problems with my k&n filter.

ryGT1
10-16-2002, 12:36 PM
Thats your problem, get rid of that filter, and get a K&N or Green
filter and that will help solve your problem. You should also
cover up those two holes you made in the fenderwell (those two
ressesed slits) and that should solve your problem.

And a large amount of water in your engine will kill it.

underthegun
10-16-2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by joefish2002
if your engine ingests water it is time for a new engine. Pistons can'tcompress water and to make it simple it goes boom..Get an aem bypass valve for peace of mind

What exactly is a bypass valve, and what does it do?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ryGT1
[B]You should also
cover up those two holes you made in the fenderwell (those two
ressesed slits) and that should solve your problem.

Do you mean the hole I cut in the wheel well so the intake tube would be able to fit through? Whats the best way to cover the hole?

Thanks for all the help guys

Watch4MyBu
10-16-2002, 12:52 PM
when it senses loss of vacuum when the filter is submerged it will allot the sir to be sucked in from the bypass element further up in the engine.

http://www.aempower.com/induction.htm

look here and it will explain better

iceman
10-16-2002, 12:53 PM
I think they misread.. They were asking if you cut a hole in the 2 "gills" in your lower fascia, I don't think you did.

An AEM bypass valve installes on the intake pipe intermediate of the TB and filter, and if your filter were to become submerged.. It will draw air through it. I forget the law of physics but it has to do with air resistance... Under normal circumstances you will draw air from your filter, but if it stops flowing, air will come in through your bypass. Keeps you from stalling out if your filter becomes submerged. I don't think it does much if water drops are sneaking in, though.

Watch4MyBu
10-16-2002, 12:58 PM
iceman is right..if water drops are sneaking it doesn't really mattre. A few drops of water will not do anything.

underthegun
10-16-2002, 01:13 PM
Alright, first off you guys rock....thanks alot.

Which size bypass would I need? The ga is not listed on aem's website. A part number would be great.

Thanks again,

Jared

iceman
10-16-2002, 01:17 PM
Depends on what size intake you have.

If you are having water problems.. I would do something about it first before a bypass. I drive through bad rain all the time and my filter is hella dry. You should try putting some sort of blocker in between the front of the car and the filter ( a duct tape wall works nice).

Watch4MyBu
10-16-2002, 01:17 PM
measure the size of your intake pipe and order the bypass accordingly.

Watch4MyBu
10-16-2002, 01:18 PM
my apoc CAI should be here in the next few weeks and I can't wait to use it

underthegun
10-16-2002, 02:01 PM
alright, since i am at work, and its time to leave, this is what i did.

I took off the coupler that holds my intake tube to the tb, and sure enough, water out the ass...so I took Seths advise and taped off underneath where most of the water was coming in....

Now i have a shop vac shoved down the tube right next to the cone, hopefully sucking up most of the water within the filter. Well see what happens on the way home.

Thanks again!

:cheers:

cavingman
10-16-2002, 02:56 PM
damn. AEM bypass valve is 50 bucks.

Watch4MyBu
10-16-2002, 02:58 PM
yeah but thing about what it could potentially save you from. New engines and installations are a lot more than 50 bucks

PACE
10-16-2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by underthegun
alright, since i am at work, and its time to leave, this is what i did.

I took off the coupler that holds my intake tube to the tb, and sure enough, water out the ass...so I took Seths advise and taped off underneath where most of the water was coming in....

Now i have a shop vac shoved down the tube right next to the cone, hopefully sucking up most of the water within the filter. Well see what happens on the way home.

Thanks again!

:cheers:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

cavingman
10-16-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by joefish2002
yeah but thing about what it could potentially save you from. New engines and installations are a lot more than 50 bucks

eh, im applying at the GA plant tonight. Once I'm unemployed I'll think about it :)

underthegun
10-16-2002, 03:46 PM
Well on the way home, she was hesitating all the way....got home, checked filter, soaking wet again....

wtf

So my tape job obviously did not work...and I noticed when I pulled up to my house when I got out I saw a river of water running out from my wheelwell....wtf !!!

Tomorrow Im going to pull the wheel and duct tape a house for the filter....cuz this is bs....

cavingman
10-16-2002, 04:24 PM
maybe your headlight fluid is leaking into your wheelwell...
sorry :)

underthegun
10-16-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by cavingman
maybe your headlight fluid is leaking into your wheelwell...
sorry :)

headlight fluid???????:confused:

cavingman
10-16-2002, 06:24 PM
sorry, its an old joke, heh.
yea I'm pretty sure your filter is the problem. K&N is hella good.

underthegun
10-16-2002, 06:26 PM
So your telling me a k&n wont get wet?? I am def. gettin a k&n tomorrow, but I dont think its going to solve the problem of being wet in the rain...

cavingman
10-16-2002, 06:33 PM
It will still get wet, but K&N filters deflect water in a sense. it's oiled so the water isnt sucked inside and stays on the surface. the AEM bypass valve probobly isnt a bad idea either

iceman
10-16-2002, 06:39 PM
A bypass isn't going to do much for you. If you drive in water that high, than you will be worrying about other problems first... The bypass is really only effective when the filter is submerged.

cavingman
10-16-2002, 07:18 PM
whats the point of them then? rally?

Watch4MyBu
10-16-2002, 07:34 PM
better safe then sorry

ryGT1
10-16-2002, 10:01 PM
How far down into the fender does the civic intake put the filter?
I cut a few inches off my APOC intake to bring the filter higher up
into the fenderwell. Maybe you can try taking a little bit of lenth
off that pipe to get the filter higher up like I did... and get that
new filter!!! I'm actually putting a new Green Cone Filter
on this weekend, I'll be sure to take some pics and post them.

underthegun
10-16-2002, 10:05 PM
my cone is right up against the fender...so it does sit pretty low. Good idea though, I just might try that. Ill post pics of mine too.

Later

romneym
10-16-2002, 11:26 PM
That was going to be my suggestion. Perhaps WHERE you cut the hole to stick the tube through your fenderwell is the problem. If it is in the path of the tire throwing off water, then the water thrown off of your tire will hit the pipe and run down into your filter. You are not filling up the pipe by sucking water into the filter, but by pouring water onto the pipe and it runs down into your filter, filling it like a bowl, then your engine starves.

I'd almost recommend taking off your filter till you can move it. It's much cheaper than sucking cups of water into your engine. But you REALLY don't want to do that, only in the emergency to get home or to the auto parts store.

???

adorai
10-17-2002, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by underthegun

depends on how much water, what rpm you were at, and whether you are lucky. Water doesn't really compress like air does, so your 9.5:1 compression ratio isn't gonna like water in it. Just a lil water you are ok, but if your intake is submerged, you will probably get water locked at the least, blow a piston (or many) more likely. If you get water locked you might be able to take out your plugs and let the whole thing dry for like a week, but you probably have to take apart the block. if you blow a piston it's time to get stage 3 heads =)

SikMindz
10-17-2002, 04:10 AM
From what I've read about the AEM bypass (in SCC nonetheless) I would just figure out a different way to keep your filter dry. Gathering from what I read like Ice said, the bypass isn't really good for much unless you're driving through a river. You might want to cut you're Civic tube (or whatever you're using) shorter so the filter sits higher up in the fender as close as you can get it to the engine.

ash
10-17-2002, 11:02 AM
You've got a ram air, right? What'd you do with the piping? Did you just leave it there? Cause some guys here put a 2.4L shield (name?) there (the part on our car under the hood with red that says ram air). It'll prevent the ram air from throwing water into the engine compartment and onto your CAI. And Get a K&N Cone.
-Mike

underthegun
10-17-2002, 11:55 AM
Well, I think I found the culprit.

Today when I lifted my hood up, I saw water dripping down from the ram air slots in my hood. So I poured a glass of water in there and it ran into the engine like a faucet.

SO i took the grills out of the ram air hood and put the black plates back with without them, and it is almost airtight now.

I noticed that where my stock airbox used to be there was a puddle there. So it seems that air was coming in through the hood, landing there, and running down my intake pipe. I also saw rust already on the clamp that held the filter to the pipe.

Needless to say i ductaped the $hit outta my wheel well just to be safe.

Also just ordered the k&n filter from summit, it will be here tomorrow morning. Looks like im good to go. Thanks for all the help.

underthegun
10-17-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by ash
You've got a ram air, right? What'd you do with the piping? Did you just leave it there? Cause some guys here put a 2.4L shield (name?) there (the part on our car under the hood with red that says ram air). It'll prevent the ram air from throwing water into the engine compartment and onto your CAI. And Get a K&N Cone.
-Mike

Yea i have ram air, but removed all that plastic crap, except for the peice that says ram air. I checked out where the stock intake slots are in the front facia, it seems ok to me.

GT2003
10-17-2002, 02:34 PM
I have heard of problems with the AEM bypass. One of my friend had one and it wasn't on an AEM pipe and it was just a civic cheap pipe from autozone, and it got sucked up into his engine. Also I have heard it doesn't fint pipe unless they are AEM or INjen. Thats what I have heard, I dunno though.

redse
03-29-2003, 07:38 AM
this is how the by pass valve works.. if the link works.. i won an aem bypassvalve off of ebay for 42 bucks shipped.. http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0104scc_tested/

GT2003
03-29-2003, 09:19 AM
I have heard the exact same thing about the bypass, I have heard of it getting sucked up into the engine when it wasn't a INjen or AEM. So I woul djust try to have the filter up more in the finder well. This is why I am kinda hesitant of doing the cai, bu tI am thinking of puytting the cai piping and cone down there and have it clamped into place and then when it does rain I can just take it off and move it to the side and put the cone WAI back on.

my99gagt
03-29-2003, 10:04 AM
so when i put my apoc cai in, do i need to remove my grills on the ram air slots and the ones on the fascia?

Rba007
03-29-2003, 10:43 AM
My filter sits directly behind my foglight, so I:

Used some sheet metal to make a deflector, that shoots whatever water gets behind the foglight straight down and away from my filter. I also made a deflector behind the headlight, to keep water that leaks in that way from dripping onto the filter.

JuniorsGt
10-19-2003, 07:45 PM
if u order a cai from doctor speed does that still hang to low to where it will get wet??

5-lO
10-19-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by JuniorsGt
if u order a cai from doctor speed does that still hang to low to where it will get wet??

They are all the same basic design, but water really shouldnt be an issue, Ive been through some hella bad storms, even punched the gas, and the filter stays dry

Jon

Panacea
10-20-2003, 07:52 AM
Dude, get a real air filter, not some crappy paper one. K&N has oil to help trap the dust particles, and it also repels water.

Everyone who's had the cheapo filters have problems with water, I've been running my CAI w/ K&N for two years, and I haven't had a single problem.. I love to splash through 6" deep puddles as well....

bling26
04-07-2005, 09:05 AM

When you get water in your engine, it will be bad for the time being, I got trapped in a flood a couple years back with my 96 grand am, I tried driving out of it to higher ground and I couldn't. I got stuck and my intake was submerged and the water got higher and higher with me trapped in the car, the water was about to my windows. I had to leave it and come back after the water drained. Even after I returned to my car it would not start the rest of the day but I was patient and waited. When it did start, a mass amount of steam came out of my tail pipe as well from under my hood (it was cool) I had to change the filter cause it was completly ruined. I drove that same car for a couple more years until I wrecked it (different story) I hope that never happens again but my car was fine... damn i type alot!

Kdawg207
04-07-2005, 09:32 AM
WOW

Had to blow the dust off this thread

5-lO
04-07-2005, 09:36 AM
Yeah I saw the title of this one and was like .... nooo cant be ... One and a half years....

AznGA
04-07-2005, 09:39 AM
I also have Ram Air hood and I got the black plates on. But when I had WAI, I noticed the filter got wet when I sprayed water directly at the plates. If you have those slots open, I am sure water could go down to the CAI filter.