Used Engine.......... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Used Engine..........

RedGrandTour
03-08-2004, 02:25 PM
My original engine is being replaced with a used engine. The warranty company is paying for an engine with 70,000 miles. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing ? Does it matter where they get the 3400 from ? I know some are rated differently. It comes with a 12month,12000 mile warranty.

Feel free to comment.

balludc
03-08-2004, 05:01 PM
what is wrong with your engine to begin with?

theres nothing wrong with a pulled (used) engine. it really depends on the car it was pulled from. if the car did 10 rolls off the side of a mountain, it's probably not going to be a good engine :D just make sure you know the background on it and if it's in working order now. you should be fine.

though imo, 70k is alot of miles for an engine you're gonna be putting in your car. did you search around for a while? or just need one quickly? plus the 12 month/12k mile warrenty is REALLY nice. since the motor is back with that warrenty, i think you'll be fine.

-dc

95-GT
03-08-2004, 05:03 PM
Also, every 3400 puts out the same power.....the differant numbers you read is from transmission setup and tuning.

RedGrandTour
03-08-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by balludc
what is wrong with your engine to begin with?

theres nothing wrong with a pulled (used) engine. it really depends on the car it was pulled from. if the car did 10 rolls off the side of a mountain, it's probably not going to be a good engine :D just make sure you know the background on it and if it's in working order now. you should be fine.

though imo, 70k is alot of miles for an engine you're gonna be putting in your car. did you search around for a while? or just need one quickly? plus the 12 month/12k mile warrenty is REALLY nice. since the motor is back with that warrenty, i think you'll be fine.

-dc

My original engine had 93,000 miles. The service department said the bearings or something failed. I got a loud ticking sound at idle and louder when I accelerated. My extended warranty is responsible for putting the engine in my car. I just hope it doesn't have the gasket problems.

RedGrandTour
03-08-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by 95-GT
Also, every 3400 puts out the same power.....the differant numbers you read is from transmission setup and tuning.

I sure hope so.

balludc
03-08-2004, 06:04 PM
another option would have your engine rebuilt. though if you have no control over it, you at the mercy of whoever is working on it.

-dc

71Z28RS
03-10-2004, 07:05 AM
I'm guessing a 70,000 mile engine is pretty safe. Any of the normal issues will already have been taken care of, and if it has any underlying problems, you're sure to find them within the next 12,000 miles.

Hope it works out for you!

RedGrandTour
03-10-2004, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by 71Z28RS
I'm guessing a 70,000 mile engine is pretty safe. Any of the normal issues will already have been taken care of, and if it has any underlying problems, you're sure to find them within the next 12,000 miles.

Hope it works out for you!

Hey thanks, I hope it works out too. I'm having the dealer put in Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic oil 5w-30.

RedGrandTour
03-18-2004, 10:53 AM
Just got my car back yesterday. They said the engine was supposed to have 70,000 miles, but the manifold looks fairly new.
The car drives like new. It starts up better than the day I bought it. The idle is super smooth and the engine has a deeper sound. I had them to install a powerstat and the temp stays a notch below 200. My only concern it what seems to be a slip around 30mph. The low trac light comes on when I accelerate around 30mph. I don't know if its a traction issue or something else.

MikeSilverGT
03-18-2004, 05:33 PM
"The low trac light comes on when I accelerate around 30mph. I don't know if its a traction issue or something else."

Maybe your bearings are going out? I know they can cause the trac light to come on if they are messed up and mine started acting up at those speeds before I had'em replaced... Just a thought.