Help - Power Steering Fluid... Leak? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Help - Power Steering Fluid... Leak?

VaGT
03-09-2004, 06:19 AM
About a year ago, I noticed the power steering fluid was low (was not even touching the dipstick). I bought some at the dealer, and added it. I noticed at the time, quite a few bubbles on the surface of the fluid in the reseviour (sp?).

This morning, I get in the car and turn the wheel to back up and get a loud noise when I do. The noise quiets down quite a bit by the time I get to work (only about 2-3 miles). I checked the fluid level when I get there and again it is low (not even touching the dipstick). I also see the bubbles and I have a weird smell under the hood.

Likely a leak, or is some fluid loss normal? What is involved in checking for a leak? I assume I am going to have to take it to a mechanic... I am out of warrantee.

Thanks

71Z28RS
03-10-2004, 05:59 AM
Fluid loss is not normal. It is a completely closed system so you're losing fluid somewhere. You probably have a slow leak in either the pump or in the high pressure line. Fixing it would mean replacing either of those. Neither one is a snap job if you don't like working on cars, but not impossible either. I guess that your taking it to a mechanic is up to you and how much it annoys you. If it is leaking onto your belt, I'd consider getting it fixed. But, if it's only leaking 1/4 a quart every year, you could definitely leave it alone. Just check it every month or so to make sure it's up to level. Don't let it get as low as it is now and you could get another 5 years out of it depend on what is leaking. My high pressure line has been leaking very slowly for over 3 years now (I only need to add every 6 months or so to keep it up) and we've never experienced any problems with it.

VaGT
03-10-2004, 07:02 AM
I need to check my records to find out when I bought the quart of Steering Fluid that I have now. I think it was about a year ago.

My Sister in law is engaged to a GM Tech in Pa. I'll get him to look at it when I am up there next month.

AznGA
03-10-2004, 07:58 AM
My dealer replaced steering pump, hoses, and rack under warranty, but I think the fluid is still leaking. When I open up the hood, I can see the steering fluid right on the hood surface on top of where the belt is.....

Fast Eddie
03-10-2004, 10:57 PM
I have to top mine off about every year or so, not much just maybe the bottom of the dipstick when cold.