wind resistance on windows [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : wind resistance on windows

RiChWhA
03-09-2004, 08:06 PM
when driving on the interstate i hear a lot of wind resistance through the driver and passenger side windows. there is no noticeable gaps that i can see, any ideas on where to start to fix this problem?

71Z28RS
03-10-2004, 05:53 AM
Are your windows closing alot slower than they should? The bad sealing off of wind noise is often a sign of the power window motor going bad. The motor doesn't usually stop all of a sudden, it'll start getting weak on you first. That's my guess. A very common problem on our cars.

RiChWhA
03-10-2004, 08:43 AM
that may be it, i fixed my window a month ago because the clips broke and it fell into the door. i hope its not because it is expensive. im taking a look at it today. just curious but how would that be the problem because it seems like its all the way up. i even get a really bad noise when the window is down, it seems like it is coming from the rear part of the door. i know you hear wind noise when the windows down (thanks guys) but it seems louder than normal. thanks for the help guys.
-Rich

71Z28RS
03-10-2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by RiChWhA
... just curious but how would that be the problem because it seems like its all the way up. i even get a really bad noise when the window is down, it seems like it is coming from the rear part of the door. ...

If the window regulator/motor is going bad, it may have enough oomph to get the window up, but not enough to push the window up hard enough to get a good seal against the weatherstripping. The grinding noise is a little bit of a concern. I've never had that happen.

You mentioned that you just had the clips replaced. Have you had the wind noise ever since then? There was another post on here within the past day or so where the guy replaced his clips and now the window is like 1/4" open even when it's all the way up. Maybe you're running into the same problem.

safemode
03-10-2004, 09:00 AM
I think the guy would know if the window was open. What he's talking about is noise caused by the body of the car. This is all caused by the normal gaps between parts of the car, the door, the under carriage. When you're cruising on the freeway you'll definitely hear lots of wind noise. Many cars will have a strip that goes down the side of the door to stop air from entering and twirling around but that looks retarded.

The loud noise you're hearing is likely just the normal noise the car is making, unless you've ridden in other ga's from your year and didn't hear it as bad.

71Z28RS
03-10-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by safemode
I think the guy would know if the window was open.

Where did you get that I said his window was open?:confused:

safemode
03-10-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by 71Z28RS
There was another post on here within the past day or so where the guy replaced his clips and now the window is like 1/4" open even when it's all the way up. Maybe you're running into the same problem.

There, and basically from the start of this thread it's assumed the window is not fully going up. You can tell when the window is up but not really going into the sleeve at the top of the door, checking the windows would be the first thing someone concerned with wind noise would check. The second would be to see if the doors are completely closed. Or vice versa. Either way, It's something you can simply observe.

We dont know what this guy considers loud wind noise but the lines of the GA produce a lot of noise on their own and unless he's comparing his car to another of the same year that's all it likely is.

RiChWhA
03-10-2004, 10:04 AM
maybe thats just the cause then, but it seems to be louder since i replaced the clips a month ago. like going 80 or so on the interstate it will push my car from side to side in the lane and is very loud. Im used to driving a durango, which is practically silent driving. maybe it will grow on me.

71Z28RS
03-10-2004, 10:05 AM
When I mentioned about the other guy having the problems with the clips, I was encouraging him to read that thread. In that thread, it sounds like the regulator is putting the window up but the clips are installed wrong or something like that because his window isn't all the way up. I was thinking that maybe his window goes up all the way into the sleeve, but doesn't quite compress the weatherstripping in the top. I was thinking that could either be due to the motor getting tired, or the clip installation being wrong. I figured that he'd know if the window wasn't all the way up.

But you're right, loud wind noise in an opinion. It might be nothing.