Brakes: Pads? Rotors? Calipers? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Brakes: Pads? Rotors? Calipers?

cweddie96
03-12-2004, 12:40 PM
GAGT OWNERS:

I recently put new brake pads on my '99 GAGT. Rotors and calipers seemed fine, so I didn't replace 'em.

After about 6000 miles I am noticing that my brakes feel like they are "skipping". Sort of like they grip and then slip, grip and slip, and so on (this of course happens very fast and just makes for a hesitating, unsmoothe stop).

Could this be from warped rotors? Bad calipers? Pads? Any ideas?

Chris
East Greenbush, NY

fear187
03-12-2004, 01:20 PM
I'd say Warped Rotors... if it is.. since they are warped... as the pad rides over the "uneven" curved part of the (warped side)rotor... you notice the slip ? .. so.. I think it's that.:rolleyes:

cweddie96
03-12-2004, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the input. Makes sense what you say, since the pressure of the pads against the warped rotor would be too little as it contacts the warped part and then grip once it hits the true section of the rotor.

I'm hoping it's the rotors and I'll just replace them---easier than calipers (having to bleed the brakes and all).:thumbs:

MikeSilverGT
03-12-2004, 06:46 PM
Mine seems to do this only when I brake really hard... Also I believe that I have braked hard enough to get the ABS to activate but my ABS light doesn't come on.. and it does the thing that feels almost like its slipping.. is that the ABS and does it still work if the light isn't coming on? :confused:

AznGA
03-12-2004, 07:59 PM
Ya, warped rotors...every GA owner has this problem.

fear187
03-12-2004, 09:48 PM
from my knowledge.. the ABS light doesn't come on when they are activated (in use).. it's suppose to only come on in the dash when they are malfunctioning (not working).....:boogie:

Mike Jung
03-12-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by MikeSilverGT
Mine seems to do this only when I brake really hard... Also I believe that I have braked hard enough to get the ABS to activate but my ABS light doesn't come on.. and it does the thing that feels almost like its slipping.. is that the ABS and does it still work if the light isn't coming on? :confused:
On the earlier versions of the GA's (like my '99 but the later versions stopped doing it): the LOW TRAC light comes on when the ABS brakes are engaging/have engaged or when the traction control is trying/have tried to control wheel-spin.

I heard with the GM OEM rotors (at least the fronts) should be changed out for new rotors every time the brake pads are changed because the rotors are not very high quality & warp easily as they get more used/thinned out.

AznGA
03-12-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by fear187
from my knowledge.. the ABS light doesn't come on when they are activated (in use).. it's suppose to only come on in the dash when they are malfunctioning (not working).....:boogie:
Mine doesn't come on when it's activated.

coupe
03-13-2004, 12:09 PM
Bite the bullet and get new rotors and pads all around. Thats what i did. Get good quality though.

tammikm
03-14-2004, 02:30 PM
what type of rotors do you guys recommend? I would like to get slotted rotors but from where? PFYC? are they good?

and do I need special pads for these rotors?

thanks

coupe
03-14-2004, 03:05 PM
I got BENDIX rotors/fronts: $47.86 each
BENDIX rotors/rears: $38.49 each
The pads i dont remember exactly but fronts where like $38 and rears where like $28.

tammikm
03-14-2004, 03:10 PM
where did you get them and are they slotted?

coupe
03-14-2004, 03:19 PM
you can get them anywhere. They are not slotted. I wanted slotted but it got to the point where i couldnt waite for them to get delivered so my shop hooked me up.

coupe
03-14-2004, 03:20 PM
I think wagner rotors are cheaper, i think they are called wagner.

tenspeed
03-14-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by cweddie96
I'm hoping it's the rotors and I'll just replace them---easier than calipers (having to bleed the brakes and all).:thumbs:

If you use a big C clamp to slowly push the piston back into the caliper, you won't have to bleed any fluid. The fluid gets pushed back up to the master cylinder.

WWW.Rockauto.com has Raybestos and Wagner, two or three

different ranges.