Keyless entry programming [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Keyless entry programming

97grandamchick
03-12-2004, 01:06 PM
I bought a new keyless entry fob off of ebay cause my old one stopped working, it has the same numbers on the back, so im sure it will work, but i cant figure out how to program it to my car...its a 97 grand am se....any suggestions?

grandam-wpg
03-12-2004, 03:38 PM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8260

I am not sure what year this was for but it may work, or there may be a posting later that will work with the 97.

97grandamchick
03-13-2004, 10:46 PM
I tried that, no luck. I searched around and found this:

1997 AND 1998 GRAND AM

Transmitter Programming

You can program up to 4 different transmitters to a remote control door lock receiver. You can program a transmitter to more than one vehicle, providing that the remote keyless entry systems are similar. If you reprogram a transmitter, you must reprogram any and all other related transmitters (a maximum of 4 per receiver) in order for the other transmitters to function properly.

1. Turn OFF the ignition.
2 .Jump the 2 terminals (3, 4) in the program ground connector, in order to ground the receiver program terminal. Left front of the luggage compartment right below the keyless module.
3 .Within 2 seconds the following sequence will occur, signalling that the module is ready to be reprogrammed:

The rear compartment lid release cycles.
The horn chirps.
4. Press and hold both the lock button (5) and the unlock button (2) until the signalling sequence occurs (approximately 12 seconds). The sequence indicates that the transmitter has been successfully reprogrammed.
5. Repeat step 4 for the remaining transmitters.
6. Remove the jumper from the terminals in the program ground connector.
7. Verify that each transmitter operates properly.

The only problem is that I dont know what it means on Step 2, I looked in my trunk, on the left front side, and under the carpet on the side of the trunk is a little black box that says "Remote Function Activation Module" and has all these wires and **** running out of it, and i know its the keyless entry module, cause theres a wire running to the trunk release, and thats on my keyless entry fob, so that must be what controls it...but I cant figure out what Im suppose to ground, Im not very good with all this car stuff, so if anyone has the same year GA as me (or a 98) that knows what I need to do, I would REALLY appreciate it!

preed4962
03-15-2004, 10:53 AM
Transmitter Programming
You can program up to 4 different transmitters to a remote control door lock receiver. You can program a transmitter to more than one vehicle, providing that the remote keyless entry systems are similar. If you reprogram a transmitter, you must reprogram any and all other related transmitters (a maximum of 4 per receiver) in order for the other transmitters to function properly.

Important
Leave a window open during the reprogramming procedure. This prevents unintentionally being locked out of the vehicle if you do not properly perform the procedure.

See Image 1

Turn OFF the ignition.
Jump the 2 terminals (3, 4) in the program ground connector, in order to ground the receiver program terminal. (Use a small lenght of wire with an aligator clip at each end.)
Within 2 seconds the following sequence will occur, signalling that the module is ready to be reprogrammed:
The doors locks, and then unlocks.
The rear compartment lid release cycles.
The horn chirps.

Press and hold both the lock button (5) and the unlock button (2) until the signalling sequence occurs (approximately 12 seconds). The sequence indicates that the transmitter has been successfully reprogrammed.
Repeat step 4 for the remaining transmitters.
Remove the jumper from the terminals in the program ground connector.
Verify that each transmitter operates properly.

97grandamchick
03-15-2004, 11:37 AM
OMG thank you sooooooo much, you are so awesome, i dont know where you found that at, but i owe you big time!

all i have to say is that the ppl on this board are so nice, and always willing to help someone out...thank you!

97grandamchick
03-15-2004, 11:52 AM
I did it, and it works!

The only thing that happened that was different was that my horn didnt honk, and is it suppose to honk when I push the lock button on my fob twice? Cause it doesnt honk then either. Oh well, at least it works!

Thanks a ton!

preed4962
03-15-2004, 01:46 PM
No problem, glad I could help...

Paul..

manu_rastogi
01-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Hi,

I bought a 1998 Grand AM SE Coupe from a dealer and it did not come with a remote. I asked the dealer and he gave me a keyless remote saying that this may work but i need to find the reprogramming myself. He wasnt sure if it did belong to the car or not.

the part says:
GM16245100-29
CANADA 218101368
Model/FCCID: AB01502T

I followed this thread but I could not locate the remote programming module. Is it possible that my car does not have keyless remote accessory? Is there a way to confirm this? If the car is always fitted with this, please can you explain again where I can find the module and follow the instructions?

Thank you.

Manu