Low fuel question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Low fuel question

shogun99
03-12-2004, 02:31 PM
If you are letting your gas get too low, what kinda problems can you expect. I regularly run my fuel right down to the bottom before i fill up again. I hate paying for and getting gas so this is a regular thing. Becaue of this, what kinda things should i expect and look out for?

thanks

mr_eh
03-12-2004, 02:48 PM
getting slapped for being an idiot when you run out of gas...

i fill up out of state at my school every few days, they dont allow you to pump your own gas there, just pull up, hand him the card, instruct his ass to fill it up, and if he hangs the gas cap on the holder, he gets a 2$ tip, if he doesn't... no tip =P

Kdawg207
03-12-2004, 02:49 PM
tip...lol...all of jersey is full serve...fill her up bitch...see ya tomorrow...

i gotta tip...don't smoke in bed

:)

02widetrackgt
03-12-2004, 02:49 PM
I would say that
a: your gas lines are more likely to freeze in cold weather and
b: your running the risk of crappy sediments gettin sucked into ur injectors

Oh yeah, your low fuel light comes on causing the bulb to burn out quicker
lol

95-GT
03-12-2004, 02:54 PM
Also, the fuel pump is somewhat lubricated by the fuel...so you risk burning your fuel pump up, getting air in the lines, and looking like a idiot pushing your car to a gas station.

Dr_Kyle
03-12-2004, 03:18 PM
You don't fill it because it often because it costs more? Your MPG is the same, (as is your usage of the vehicle) so filling at 1/2 tank is no different cost-wise as it is filling at near-empty.

My idiot light doesn't work on my gas gauge (the gauge still works though). Since it stopped working, I have run out of gas 5 times while driving. Luckily, I was close enough to a gas station to coast in 4 out of the 5 times. The car still runs fine, a year after the first complete empty. However, I do try to keep at least 1/4 tank just for the benefit of the fuel pump.

As for the sediment comment, the feed comes from the bottom anyway so any sediment will get sucked up no matter how low or high your tank is.

shogun99
03-12-2004, 03:51 PM
I am glad to say i have never run out of fuel. I dont fill up when its low cause i save money....i just fill up low cause thats sometimes the only time i can afford to buy gas!
i usally fill up whenever i have cash but i asked the question for those times when the light comes on.

95-GT
03-12-2004, 03:53 PM
I've ran out once....and almost quite a few times. My gauges were bad, so it was hard to tell.

Dr_Kyle
03-12-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by shogun99
I am glad to say i have never run out of fuel. I dont fill up when its low cause i save money....i just fill up low cause thats sometimes the only time i can afford to buy gas!
i usally fill up whenever i have cash but i asked the question for those times when the light comes on.

Okay, I see what you mean now.. I misinterpreted what you meant by saving cash. I was like, doesn't he realize it costs the same? lol

klc317
03-12-2004, 07:04 PM
I've heard how some GAs have inaccurate gas guages, so I never run mine below 1/4 tank. Well, once or twice I have!! Like they said before, running the tank completely dry is hell on the fuel pump.

coupe
03-13-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Dr_Kyle
You don't fill it because it often because it costs more? Your MPG is the same, (as is your usage of the vehicle) so filling at 1/2 tank is no different cost-wise as it is filling at near-empty.

My idiot light doesn't work on my gas gauge (the gauge still works though). Since it stopped working, I have run out of gas 5 times while driving. Luckily, I was close enough to a gas station to coast in 4 out of the 5 times. The car still runs fine, a year after the first complete empty. However, I do try to keep at least 1/4 tank just for the benefit of the fuel pump.

As for the sediment comment, the feed comes from the bottom anyway so any sediment will get sucked up no matter how low or high your tank is.

Thanks DOC. I always wondered that. I am a college student and spend all my money on mods and have to run it pretty low alot and was scared i was gunna suck crap up into my injectors and pump. Thats a relief. I run her real low at least once a week.

2002AmSE
03-13-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Dr_Kyle

Hey, got a ?, how many gallons exactly did it take to fill it after the dry tank? I know it's different from the manuel's numbers, just wondering what it was for you..

Dr_Kyle
03-13-2004, 02:21 PM
IIRC, it took just over 14 gallons.