service engine soon light [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : service engine soon light

nuprules
03-14-2004, 06:24 PM
does the grand am have an automatic light that comes on around 36000. i hit the 36250 mark today no warranty anymore and this light popped up out of no where. any one know of what could be the problem/cause. thanks!

MikeSilverGT
03-14-2004, 06:59 PM
Go to Autozone and get the code read, they do it for free.. SES means there's some problem but there are many issues that it could be...

luniz
03-14-2004, 07:08 PM
Check to see if your gas cap is on all the way.

nuprules
03-15-2004, 03:35 PM
i went to autozone they told me the same thing that the manual did. something with the emission systems. what does that mean? i turned the fuel cap many times to ensure it was on also. now what?

2002AmSE
03-15-2004, 05:03 PM
It matters which emission systems code, if it was the gas cap code, that code goes away after about 200 miles or so. If your impatient, just pull the negative cable of the battery for a few seconds and plug it back in to reset it.... if its the gas cap code. I always write down the number they give me from autozone.

nuprules
03-15-2004, 11:05 PM
it takes 200 miles for the gas cap code to go away? so if i just reput the gas cap on the light will still stay on? i forgot to ask for the code number. it was something about the emission systems II. i didn't know what he was talking about though.

nuprules
03-15-2004, 11:06 PM
what is the number for the gas cap code? i will go back again and get the number.

71Z28RS
03-16-2004, 06:07 AM
It probably came up with an EVAP error code. That is your recirculatory system that recycles unused gas vapors from the tank and lines back into the engine (simplified version). If it senses a loss in pressure in this system (loose gas cap or leaky system hose), it kicks the light on to let you know that there is a chance that you have gas vapors escaping somewhere so it isn't as environmental friendly as they intended it to be. It isn't a big deal. If you're getting that code, it'll come and go without you having any adverse effects from it. They are notorious for popping on during significant weather changes. You could have someone track it down for you, but it might not be worth it $$$$. Alot of times it'll go away and never come back (gas cap not tight), but you might see it for a month and then it'll go for a month and so on.

nuprules
03-16-2004, 06:25 AM
so i can still drive with it on right? it has nothing to do with my engine or transmission?

71Z28RS
03-16-2004, 06:27 AM
Yes, you can drive it without worrying. If it's just an emissions error, there should be no problems whatsoever. The main concern is that once your engine light comes on, you wouldn't know if something else happened. So, if something fouled out or a sensor went bad, you wouldn't know it because you were already used to seeing the light from the emissions error. So, if the light stays on for a long period of time, it'd be a good idea to get it cleared and re-read from time to time to make sure everything else is doing ok.

nuprules
03-16-2004, 06:40 AM
thanks, i appreciate everyones help.

Mike Jung
03-16-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by nuprules
what is the number for the gas cap code?...

P0442 = Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (small leak)
Like a loose gas cap.

nuprules
03-17-2004, 04:23 PM
went to the dealer and they told me that the oil sender unit was bad/faulty. it cost me a 124 dollars. thanks for the help guys.

2002AmSE
03-18-2004, 08:46 AM
oil sender unit faulty = emission system code??

71Z28RS
03-18-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by 2002AmSE
oil sender unit faulty = emission system code??

I was kind of wondering the same thing.:confused:

nuprules
03-18-2004, 11:26 AM
that's what i said. i think that this is easy to change so it probably was the gas cap but they wanted to make a little money so they said this was bad.

illsmokeyou
03-18-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by nuprules
went to the dealer and they told me that the oil sender unit was bad/faulty. it cost me a 124 dollars. thanks for the help guys.

most people dont know this, but there is an extra hidden warranty past your 36K...... for an additional 10K..... its just a matter of how much you wanna bi-ch about it. GM certainly doesnt want you to know about it, but they certainly do cover about 80% of the cost ;)

for example last year, my mom had 45K on her 2000 SE V6, well out of warranty, and the lower gasket jizzed out. I raised hell to the service problem about how this should be a recall, how I see these cars at a friends independant shop day in and day out for the same problem, not to mention the grand am boards. The total including the gasket replacement, new battery, coolant flush, tranny flush..... was about $1500....... of that, she actually paid $600.... go figure.... the service manager tried to sauce me up by saying that GM was doing us a favor and covering the lower gasket and labor..........:rolleyes: ..... I told him to fu-k off..... I know my rights.

Another incident, a buddy of mine that works for a pontiac, gmc, buick dealer had his fuel pump in his 2000 sunfire take a sh-t @ 43K 2 weeks ago.... $413 they told him..... and after he declined..... they came back to him an hour later and told him they were gonna "hook him up", and get it done under warranty......;)

nuprules
03-18-2004, 02:53 PM
where can i get this in writing from? i want to get my money back.

illsmokeyou
03-18-2004, 03:39 PM
might be hard since you already paid for the repairs..... but call 1(800) 762 2737...... and bit-h to a representatives, till their ears fall off

I was still curious as to why they covered the cost outside of warranty, and I thought the *secret warranty* was only a myth, but it was confirmed by several fiance managers at the same dealership that servied my moms 2000, amd upon purchasing her 2004, again they confirmed the information...... which is actually protocal amongst MANY manufacturers ;) ...... FYI

like I said my buddy just got his $413 in tank fuel pump with his sunfire covered under warranty, do you think the dealership would fraud GM by lying about the milage, or do you think he got *connected* simply because he is a leech salesman????..... dont think so..... like I said, its just a matter of how hard your willing to bitch :thumbs:... of course if you question GM about it, they will deny it.... act like you know what your talking about.... youll get a different response

again, I did NOT say you would get all your money back, rather a good portion

tenstrum
04-01-2004, 11:56 AM
My light came on as well today while I was driving around. I went by Autozone to get it diagnosed. Error P0440 - Emission Control Malfunction. Basically it boiled down to a worn out gas cap. I bought a new gas cap. No more light.

Tenstrum
2000 GrandAm GT1