ABS and TRAC OFF [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : ABS and TRAC OFF

mmaxwell
03-14-2004, 06:29 PM
I searched the forum and found a lot of ABS/TRAC OFF posts but none seemed to have my exact problem. My wheel hub went bad and my ABS and Trac Off started coming on every time I drove the car a few minutes into my drive. Now after replacing my hub the lights still come on only now they are on every time from the time I start the car. I disconnected the negative battery terminal and it has been over 250 miles? Any help is greatly appreciated. Do I have to take it to a dealer and have the brake control module cleared?

CyberRad
03-14-2004, 06:34 PM
It sounds like who ever installed your wheel hub assembly might have installed the wires wrong or they got pinched cause them to cut. One way or another that is probably what happened. Check the wires. I only say this cause I ended up cutting my wires a month or so after I replaced the hub.

95-GT
03-14-2004, 06:37 PM
Same thing happened to my girlfriends car. When she had her brakes done, approx two weeks later she had the same problem. It was too cold to work on the car at the time. But approx 2-3 weeks ago, I was able to check it out and both wires were tore out of the wheel hub.

action
03-15-2004, 08:03 AM
If they used a cheap quality hub assembly it may have a bad sensor causing the code. I've seen a garage try 3 different assemblies on a car and each threw a code. When they used one from the dealer, the problem cleared.

preed4962
03-15-2004, 10:26 AM
Or the other hub has gone bad... Did you get the codes read?

mmaxwell
03-18-2004, 07:22 PM
I took it up to Autozone to have the codes read and the guy said they couldn't read ABS codes. Do the ABS sensors send trouble codes?

CyberRad
03-18-2004, 07:26 PM
Yeah they won't be able to but a service shop like Midas could for like an outragious $69.99. Yes the ABS control Module sends codes but needs a special reader.

illsmokeyou
03-18-2004, 08:48 PM
there are only 2 wires going into each of your 4 hub assemblies... .and they are all plug and play.... meaning that if you swap a hub, all you do is plug the connector into the new hub...... there is no splicing or soldering.

The hub assembly could be faulty, but also check to see if the input is properly connected on the harness, and also follow the wires back up the chassis as far as you can see to make sure they arent spliced anywhere, or any insulation stripped getting grounded somewhere

spydave00
03-29-2004, 09:00 AM
Hello,

I have the same problem as the thread starter. My car is in the shop right now. They have replaced the hub assembly twice with NAPA parts, and this time with GM part. Still throwing codes ABS light and Trac off.

Before taking it in to the shop "low trac" would come on all the time when not in low trac conditions and after hitting a few bumps ABS light and Trac Off light came on. Any ideas? Mechanic is now checking the wiring.

Another problem in the middle of this problem. SES light came on and code is reading an open circuit on the air intake manifold temp sensor. I replaced the sensor myself and still no luck computer reading car at -38F.

Man I love my car and want it to work right, but it is the worst quality made car I have ever had. Way too many problems. Soon as I can get these lights off I am selling. Never again Pontiac.

Also, I will be looking forward to my car stalling.. fuel pump problems in the heat of the summer, can't wait!