Cracked Pillar [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Pillar

Gramp's GT
03-14-2004, 08:28 PM
I noticed today that the passengers side A-Pillar has a crack in the middle of it about 1/2 inch long. Has anyone else experienced this? What would be the cause?

mr_eh
03-14-2004, 10:15 PM
extreme cold? how is the temps in your neck of the woods?

71Z28RS
03-15-2004, 01:38 PM
You mean the paint is cracked and not the whole pillar, right? If you aren't the original owner, I'd guess it's coming back through from a previous collision. If you're sure the car has never been in an accident, it's possible that a stone hit just right and cracked the top surface of the paint.

03 Cav Fire
03-15-2004, 01:46 PM
Yeah... are we talking outside of the a-pillar or the inside?

Gramp's GT
03-15-2004, 09:41 PM
I am the original owner...bought it brand new. This is the inside of the car. The same pillar cover that the pod would go on except it is on the passenger side. It is cracked right in the middle about once inch long. The weather has been fairly warm for this time of year (10C or 50 degrees F) I can't figure out why it would crack. I think this is really weird!! ( and disappointing for a car that has been babied)

cavingman
03-15-2004, 09:45 PM
you ever try and pull it off? theres a plastic tab behind it, and if you dont pull right itll pull through..

Gramp's GT
03-15-2004, 10:01 PM
NOpe...never tried to take it off. The only thing I have ever done to it is wipe it with a damp cloth a couple time of year while cleaning the interior.
Do you think it is some type of flaw that would be raising its ugly head a few years after being made. Too bad it wasn't the drivers side because I replaced that one with a pod.

71Z28RS
03-16-2004, 06:57 AM
Sounds like a passenger grabbed on to it getting into or out of the car. I don't see how a thick plastic piece like that which has no structural loading and is only there for appearance purposes could crack just by sitting there. I think someone yanked on it.

Gramp's GT
03-16-2004, 09:56 PM
If it was cracked on the side I would think the same that someone yanked on it but it is cracked right in the middle??? Wierd eh?

02PONtiac!
03-16-2004, 10:06 PM
It sounds like a case for Unsolved Mysteries. That is strange.

JohnnyB4439
03-17-2004, 07:27 PM
if you want to cover that up you could always get some pillar overlays from grafxwerks, i know some of mine the paint is chipping off...so im gonna get some carbon fiber ones eventually...

Gramp's GT
03-17-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by 99GRANDAMse
if you want to cover that up you could always get some pillar overlays from grafxwerks, i know some of mine the paint is chipping off...so im gonna get some carbon fiber ones eventually...

Hey..good idea...anyone else got some ideas for me?