wai heat shield [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : wai heat shield

tammikm
03-15-2004, 03:53 PM
I just put a wai on my car from chrome intakes on ebay, filter fits good and sounds good but it is right beside the edge of the fender, do you guys think water run off from the hood will get into my filter? and I would like to get a heat shield of some sort anyone know of a good one to get?

thanks

mr_eh
03-15-2004, 05:18 PM
heat sheild = useless, cut the pipe if worried about water

atc3434
03-15-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by mr_eh
heat sheild = useless

From experience or just guessing? If you can get the filter to want to pull its air from beside the battery, instead of from the hotter side, the side by the engine, you will eliminate a lot of the heatsoak that a WAI experiences.

As far as water problems, I usually put a plastic bag around my filter when I pressure wash, but I don't get to concerned about regular rain problems. I avoid the huge puddles, but thats about it.

mr_eh
03-15-2004, 05:28 PM
the filter he is referring to is going to be one that completely surrounds the filter and hinders the flow, the best wai setup = using 3 inch flex tubing from somewhere to a "cold air box" that seperates the filter from the heat of the rest of the engine, possibly a vent on top to let heat out, and yeah... i gotta start making that been talking about it for a while =/

atc3434
03-15-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by mr_eh
the filter he is referring to is going to be one that completely surrounds the filter and hinders the flow, the best wai setup = using 3 inch flex tubing from somewhere to a "cold air box" that seperates the filter from the heat of the rest of the engine, possibly a vent on top to let heat out, and yeah... i gotta start making that been talking about it for a while =/

Now thats what I'm talking about... make a box and then let that breath from down in the fender. By then, maybe a CAI would have been less work. Give me something to do this spring though.

mr_eh
03-15-2004, 07:43 PM
dont get me started on short ram (wai) and long ram (cai)...

a cai is less work, but you see more benefits from what i described, and not in the fenderwell... towards the front of the car.. haven't figured out how to do it yet but it'll work

mfuller
03-16-2004, 08:04 AM
FYI.....if anyone is looking for a *nice* water shield for the filter on their CAI, Injen makes a nice one.....
http://www.ptuning.com/graphics/injen/heatshieldsplashguard.jpg

tammikm
03-16-2004, 01:25 PM
ok but where do u buy that shield?

mfuller
03-16-2004, 01:45 PM
www.ptuning.com