Painted Gm Twin Post Mirrors [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Painted Gm Twin Post Mirrors

GTLUVA
03-16-2004, 01:16 PM
I had the twin post mirrors painted at the dealership last October and installed on my car. My drivers side mirror is starting to flake paint and chip in spots is their an warranty on their paint job. I paid them $88 to paint them. Is their anyway I can make the dealership repaint them for me for no charge. I have 8200 miles on my car and I have a warranty on my car till April 30, 2006:confused:

Kdawg207
03-16-2004, 01:29 PM
go back and be a pain in their ass
works for me

Molson
03-16-2004, 01:31 PM
the twin post mirrors you supplied yourself right?

It has nothing to do with your vehicle warranty.

Be a pain in their ass, you may get nowhere.

Approach them nicely and you may.

illsmokeyou
03-16-2004, 04:09 PM
I would say the warranty lies more so with the body shop that painted them for the dealer, rather than the dealer itself.

Anyhow with GM, you NEED to raise hell ;)

Kdawg207
03-16-2004, 04:16 PM
go to a different dealer and act innocent...they may not even no any better and paint em for ya
it's not a big job

02PONtiac!
03-16-2004, 04:16 PM
It sounds like they didn't ruff them up at all so the paint would stick. Ask them what they used to scuff them up? they will probably BS u but they should use Red 3M scotch brite pad or some 320grit or higher. Also if they didn't clean the mirrors than the chemical that the plastic has won't allow the paint to stick. It has something to do with the molding process at the factory that they use to for the plastic. I remember using some type of chemical neutralizer on all the plastic parts we used to paint at the body shop. It sounds like you just have to be smarter than the manager when dealing with this issue to have them repaint the mirrors. Good luck.

illsmokeyou
03-16-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Kdawg207
go to a different dealer and act innocent...they may not even no any better and paint em for ya
it's not a big job

yeah, and hope the dealer is incompetent enought (most are) to realize that you have factory 2003 dual post painted mirrors that are 99-02 style ;) . If your questioned about it, then again your back to square one, but most dealerships dont really know their sh-t.

I roll into my dealership today with a list of last minute warranty repairs with a lot of SE to GT "mods", with no questions asked

Im even getting my brakes bled with the tech II under warranty, despite my rear Disc swap :lol:.... all I did was complain about a mushy pedal

its funny, these dealerships get bent over most of the time because they dont even realize the variances between models

GTLUVA
03-16-2004, 10:59 PM
Yep, I don't know if I'm screwed or not but I had my mirrors painted and installed when I got my new rear bumper put on in October from my accident. I know they entered my car in the system and it was a gm dealer my slip said paint and refinish and install mirrors but I should still be covered underneath warranty don't you think. I still got my receipt from gm parts direct.

Stacy:confused:

02PONtiac!
03-16-2004, 11:08 PM
I would go to the dealer where you got your mirrors painted. If they give you static just go to another GM dealer in the area and tell them your mirrors are starting to peel. Just play it dumb or whatever.

GTLUVA
03-16-2004, 11:16 PM
Yep, I'm going to the gm dealer in my town to complain once again they hate me! They messed up my car twice first destroyed my back up bulbs when I got my new rear bumper installed by not connecting them and then got a sct spoiler installed left a hex nut in my trunk lid don't know where it belonged but kept on rattling against my trunk had to tear apart the whole lid to get it out. But why do I go back to them because they painted my sct hood and spoiler for free since I'm such a dedicated customer:rolleyes:

I also have called GM to complain about this dealership I wanted to buy a car from them kept on e-mailing them they don't reply doesnt mind me they don't want a $25,000 sale. I drove 40 miles to order my car and I drive 40 miles to get darn good GM service so sad I can't get serviced in my town.

Stacy:p

GTLUVA
03-19-2004, 02:28 PM
Well I went back to talk to the guy at the gm dealership who painted my mirrors, rear bumper, hood and spoiler. I showed him my drivers side mirror how the paint is getting rough around the edges and its starting to look flaky. Well he told me its common air bubbles and I asked him if their was anything to do and he told me they would have to resand the mirror. I'm going back on April 6th because they are really booked up but I have to leave my car overnight which I'm not to happy about. But I'm hoping the mirror will turn out good in a couple of weeks. The mirror was poorly painted to began with. :(

GTLUVA
04-07-2004, 12:17 PM
Well I had my car in the bodyshop for the last two days getting the mirrors repainted and they repainted them for me for free. I thought for sure since I switched my mouse ears to my twin posts that would void my mirror warranty but it didn't. The mirrors still have a couple of air bubbles on them left but at least they are silver instead of white and black spots. Plus they even washed my car for me and installed my pontiac face plate cover for me and touched up couple of scratches that were on it. :)