Distributor Oil Seal? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Distributor Oil Seal?

voodoo
03-16-2004, 07:20 PM
hey, I took my car into the dealer for some work and they said that my distributor oil seal needed replaced and they want to charge me 200$ to replace it. anyone know what the hell they are talking about?

snwman
03-16-2004, 08:08 PM
hrmm kinda strange cosidering we dont have a distributor on our cars. however there may be a seal where one could go on the block.

Gt00
03-16-2004, 10:08 PM
When they switched over to DIS ignition instead of casting a new block good old GM just blocked the hole with a plug . Its near the TB in the block . I assume they mean the seal there is leaking , i don't think fixing it yourself would be too difficult really .

snwman
03-17-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Gt00
When they switched over to DIS ignition instead of casting a new block good old GM just blocked the hole with a plug . Its near the TB in the block . I assume they mean the seal there is leaking , i don't think fixing it yourself would be too difficult really .

makes sense, like gt00 said should be an easy fix then.

Blackrider
03-17-2004, 08:32 AM
Otherwise known as the "Dumb Shaft"

voodoo
03-17-2004, 09:39 AM
I talked to the dealer again and that is exactly what they explained to me. does anyone know if it is that labor intensive to warrant 200$ to change? thanks for the info!

Gt00
03-17-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by voodoo
I talked to the dealer again and that is exactly what they explained to me. does anyone know if it is that labor intensive to warrant 200$ to change? thanks for the info! You have to take off the upper intake to get at it , that's why it's expensive labour wise . If you get the gasket and the seal , and are able to remove the UIM yourself the rest should be pretty easy .

Blackrider
03-17-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Gt00
You have to take off the upper intake to get at it , that's why it's expensive labour wise . If you get the gasket and the seal , and are able to remove the UIM yourself the rest should be pretty easy .

There is a way to do it without taking the UIM off, If they needed to take off the UIM it would be ALOT more.

Vince
03-17-2004, 06:19 PM
I currently have both the UIM and LIM off my car cause of the LIM leak. So I took a look, and you would to remove the UIM to get to the dummy shaft. You might have to remove the the fuel line to the rail too, mainly cause it runs directly above the shaft, and that's a maybe there. It'll be a tight fit though. The ring seal cost less than 10 dollars. I already replaced mine, it was easy cause I had the LIM off too, well, and everything else off for that matter. If you do replace it though, you'll also need new a UIM gasket, oh, and you don't have to remove the throttlebody, just leave it on the UIM.