My oil is milky! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : My oil is milky!

AutoBody Guy
03-16-2004, 08:24 PM
Blown Gasket?

My older brother gave me his 1990 Grand Am because he bought a new car. He said there are a few problems with it and it doesn’t pass Air-Care anymore. (I live in Canada, by the way). The first problem he pointed out is that when we checked the oil, the dipstick had some type of white milky looking stuff on it. I checked the Car manual and it said that the "Gasket is blown" or the "Block is cracked". So, is this why my car doesn’t pass Air-Care?

Also, I would like to take a crack at repairing this "Blown Gasket". I don't have much experience with fixing engines, is this procedure a difficult task? And, while looking it up in my Manual, where is this Gasket located, is there another name for it... I found Cylinder Head Gasket in the manual, is that the one? Oh and is there a site dedicated for giving step by step directions on how to do these types of repairs on my Grand Am?

Thanks for the help.

2000GA
03-16-2004, 08:36 PM
which engine, im assuming a quad 4 which are known to blow the head gaskets.

AutoBody Guy
03-16-2004, 08:58 PM
"16V Quad 4 DOHC"

matts
03-16-2004, 11:39 PM
that sucks. better hope its a head gasket and not the block

tenspeed
03-17-2004, 01:44 AM
It might be normal if the car was always driven in town and not allowed to warm up fully. The moisture in the oil never gets the chance to burn off if the car was only driven for short distances.

If it's a head gasket, there may be air bubbling in the coolent tank or white smoke out the exhaust.

2002AmSE
03-17-2004, 02:29 PM
Yeah, you've got coolant in the oil, don't drive the car until you fix that because coolant doesn't lubricate well. I'd say it's the gasket.

2000GA
03-17-2004, 03:14 PM
when you take it apart make sure you bring the head to a machine shop so they can check to make sure its not warped.

AutoBody Guy
03-17-2004, 05:26 PM
Well, I think I'm going to let the mechanics handle it. It's a good thing I'm taking a course in Autobody, there is also a mechanic school there and I'm sure they will give me a super cheap deal cause it will be practice for the students. I'll only pay for parts and no labour. Plus, once the engine is working and fully tuned, me and the Auto Body students will fix the body and paint it for free.

"Freebieeeee" *Monster Garage*

Thanks for your responces.