Coolant Leak [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Leak

thomask131
03-16-2004, 08:52 PM
I have what i deemed to be the infamous intake gasket leak, however, it seems a bit...odd. I lost about two full resevoirs of coolant, both on long trips w/ the heater turned on. I have since driven on three such trips in warmer weather and did not use the heat; I failed to lose a single drop of coolant! Could it be that my heater is causing me to lose coolant because of higher engine temps???

2002AmSE
03-17-2004, 02:32 PM
Do you see coolant all over the ground? It could be(just a guess)a leak in the heater core. Maybe it overheated and flowed over, or possibly a faulty pressure cap.

Check your oil, if it leaked into your oil as a gasket leak you will see it in your oil and it will look frothy.

thomask131
03-17-2004, 02:53 PM
Well I know for sure that its not leaking into my oil, I have checked it serveral times...i haven't actually seen it leak anywhere...my low coolant light just came on.

Greed4Speed
03-17-2004, 08:28 PM
Pressure cap. Make sure its on right. If that doesn't fix the prob, go to the dealer and get a new one.

If its not on right or crapped out it'll let the coolant flow out.

MikeSilverGT
03-18-2004, 09:04 AM
Does your car run any hotter than it used to (assuming your coolant is full)? My car started running about 10-20 degrees F hotter recently and the dealer said the pressure cap wasn't holding pressure (how ironic). They gave me a new one and I was good to go, but then I didn't lose any coolant either...