2.4L valve cover gasket leak [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2.4L valve cover gasket leak

The Reamer
03-17-2004, 09:14 PM
I've been searching all over this site for the answer and can't find them. There's nothing on parts for a 2.4L.

I know I have a gasket leak. I have the Haynes maintenance manual and it tells me some of the parts I need, but the auto part shops have no clue what they are. Does anyone know what parts I need to fix my gasket leak with their part numbers? I have a 2.4L 2000 w/ 54k miles (jfyi).

I have the intake and exhaust gaskets. I believe I gotta take the timing chain cover off and replace that gasket. I don't think I'll need to replace anything in there. But then I need a oil seal and some other crap for it (sorry, i don't have my haynes book with me.) Auto parts stores can't help me with any of the O-rings and seals and details on what I NEED.

I might just call up GM and ask them, but they are so difficult to get answers out of.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Rba007
03-17-2004, 10:01 PM
I know at one time I asked for the PN for the cam cover gaskets, do a search in the part number section and hopefully thatll turn up.

Otherwise, id really suggest checking out Jbody.org for that question. Not too many of us 2.4 owners here, but there are plenty of em there.

gtam97
02-10-2006, 08:52 PM
I have the same problem. I have a 97 2.4 grand am gt and i'm not sure if i have to take the timing chain cover to remove the valve covers.

SpyhunteR
02-11-2006, 04:19 AM
for gtam97

it's not a valve cover gasket....

you need the intake cam tower/cover gaskets and the exhaust cam tower/cover gaskets.....

depending on where the leak is coming from you may not have to take off the timing chain cover....

reccomendation go get the entire gasket kit for the top end, and get a gasket for the timing cover assembly.. you should be good to go for the most part.. you don't have to take the timing assembly completely off, just the cover to access the cam gears, if it is the lower part of the cam cover which meets the head.

if you have pics of the leak.. hit me up on AIM: MONKthe1

Irate
02-11-2006, 07:33 AM
yeah, that ish is NOT fun to do in the car... next time I'm pulling the engine out.

gtam97
02-13-2006, 06:03 PM
I started to pull the valve cover off, it was loose on one side but the side closest to the timing chain, i could not get off. it felt like if was stuck underneath the timing chain cover. the haines book doesnt tell you anything. i have to change it cause i keep getting this oil smell coming from the air vents. any help i will greatly appreciated. thank you

Irate
02-13-2006, 08:15 PM
like we said, there is no valve cover.

The intake and exhaust cams are in separate "cam towers" and each of those towers has their own cover. Unfortunately, to remove either the tower cover or the tower itself, you need to remove the timing chain cover and the cam sprockets. Only at that point will you have access to the bolts that hold the cam towers to the timing chain backing plate.

The cam towers are bolted to both the cylinder head, and the backing plate. Be sure that you do NOT try to pry up on the cam towers after you remove all of the tower-head bolts because it will still be bolted to the backing plate, which is bolted to the engine block.

Lastly, if you're going through all of the trouble, you should at least spend $20 and get a "Secret Cam" setup (ie do a cam swap from the '94 and '95 Quad engines).

Hit me up on AIM if you have more questions - I'm usually around somewhere...