manual tranny swap. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : manual tranny swap.

Turbodreams-se
03-18-2004, 07:45 PM
I know I have seen this list before on here, but can't find it... what parts other than tranny, flywheel, clutch, ecu, and wiring harness are needed for a swap from the 2.4's auto to manual

Turbodreams-se
03-18-2004, 07:46 PM
oh and the money is not important.

preed4962
03-18-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Turbodreams-se
oh and the money is not important.

If money is no object, then just go buy a new car with a 2.4 and a 5 speed...

Turbodreams-se
03-18-2004, 11:22 PM
ok maybe its just me, but I would rather not go through all the bullsh1t of out of state registration and insurance. Even though I am in california, my car is not registered here because I am in the military. It has its benefits, like no smog, where if I buy a new car, I have to drive it to my home state and hope I don't get pulled over for no registration and tags for the whole 6000 mile trip. I want to see the list that was up here a while back. and by the way, the 2.4's w/5spd aren't that easy to come by except in cavaliers and sunfires.

Turbodreams-se
03-18-2004, 11:57 PM
ok i found it on gaoc.com...
so here it is in case anyone else wondered... and it was actually for a 2.3 but It should be almost the exact same for the 2.4

What parts you need to swap a Quad 4 automatic transmission, to a manual transmission
The parts needed to do the swap:

A manual transmission for a Quad 4.

Manual trans axles, Ones with the teeth rings for the ABS if your car has ABS.

A set of shift cables (try to get the ones from the donor car)

A clutch master & slave cylinder.

A clutch pressure plate, disc, and throw out bearing for a Quad 4.

An intermediate axle shaft and bracket. This runs from the trans differential to the passenger side of the car.

A water neck for a manual trans Quad. The one that bolts to the bottom of the water pump. Yes, the angle of the heater core tube that comes out of it is a little different for the manual tranny.

An outer power steering pump bracket for a manual trans Quad. This is the one that gets bolted to the trans. Mounting holes are different for this bracket between the auto and manual.

A brake booster vacuum line for a manual trans Quad. The one for the manual has bolt tabs welded on in different spot to bolt up to the power steering bracket mentioned above.

A shifter, manual trans console top plate, shifter boot, and knob.

A clutch pedal with bracket, small brake pedal, and driver side sound panel with a cutout for the clutch pedal.

A cruise control wire harness for a manual trans car. Ther is an extra plug for a switch on the clutch pedal. You wouldn't want to accidentally push the clutch in with the cruise on and over rev your motor.

An engine wire harness for a manual trans Quad. It must have the wires in it for the ABS if your car has ABS.

A manual trans steering column with the key release lever. You can get by with the auto trans steering column, just don't turn the key off while driving. The wheel will lock, and you won't be able to steer. The key release is a safety precaution so you can't lock the steering wheel while driving.

And a computer chip for a manual trans Quad.

And thats about it.

Further questions can be answered by Scott.

Submitted by Scott (GrandAminator)