Ignition Key [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Key

Hailly
03-18-2004, 09:57 PM
I am not sure if this is where I should post this question or not, but figured i would give it a shot.

I lost my Key for our 2000 GAGT , and after using my husbands key for months, I fianlly got sick of it and went to the hardware store to have one made.

I came home, my hubby checked out my key and asked me where I got it, and I told him the hardware store. He went on to say that the key to our car has something to do with some computer stuff in the ignition or whatever. And that we are only supposed to get extra keys made up at a GM dealership.(20 bux a pop, as opposed to the $2.19 I payed at the local hardware store!)

Well to cut to the chase, I just want to know if this key i had made can cause any damage to our cars ignition or anything where it is not one of those "Special" GM keys...?? It seems to start the car just fine! lol:thumbs:

Turbodreams-se
03-18-2004, 11:29 PM
I am about 99% sure it isn't a "special key." I remember seeing something about the passlock system, and it doesn't check for a certain key, it just checks for A key, so the car cannot be hotwired.

SikMindz
03-18-2004, 11:31 PM
Ha! You swear Pontiac would ever integrate anything that technologically advanced into a GA.

Anyways, cheap replacement keys will work exactly the same as the original...I would know, I've been using a replacement key for a year or two now.

Turbodreams-se
03-18-2004, 11:33 PM
:woowoo I was right for once!!!! lol

tenspeed
03-18-2004, 11:50 PM
I keep a cheap all metal key in my wallet for emergencies.

Hailly
03-19-2004, 05:46 AM
Cool, TYVM!! :boogie:

fear187
03-19-2004, 10:52 AM
So.. you can just go out and get any replacement key at the hardware store? ... and the car works fine? I always was under the assumption that the car had one of those keys with the chips inside.. and that if you used a different key.. that after a few miles.. the car engine would shut off.. cause it detects the right key isn't in the ignition.. it's a theft fail safe device... atleast I know my dad's Jeep Cherokee has that feature installed.

I guess I'll be getting some spair keys at the hardware store for my car.... PS.. has anyone tried this with a 2003 GA GT ? .. just making sure .. wouldn't wanna the buy keys and have it not work. .. I'll just go out and buy 2 spair keys... also would like to get 2 spair remotes too... just incase one wears out or breaks.

Kdawg207
03-19-2004, 10:56 AM
03 same deal....:)

Molson
03-19-2004, 10:58 AM
yep, normal key.

You car just has to learn it, put it in, turn it ON, and leave it for 15-20 mins.

mr_eh
03-19-2004, 10:59 AM
listen, the computer chipped keys - the chips are visible on the key :)

Kdawg207
03-19-2004, 11:07 AM
Yup...i was gonna say that but...we dont have one no matter where it is ..so i didn't

killerhound
03-19-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by mr_eh
listen, the computer chipped keys - the chips are visible on the key :)

Go check out a Ford Mustang key. My girlfriend has a Mustang and you can see where they implanted the chip...there's a tiny little piece of plastic covering it up.

preed4962
03-20-2004, 05:46 AM
On some keys the chip is visible, I agree, and I also agree that there is no chip on the GA keys. But the Cherokee mentioned in one of the previous posts does have chip (actually a transponder) in the head of the key (thats why its rather 'fat'). The Cherokee (Chrysler) system works similar to say a Mobil Speedpass device (if you are familiar with this), where it sends an RF signal to the car computer allowing the vehicle to start.

-Paul

2002AmSE
03-20-2004, 08:15 AM
Yup no chip here. I know BMW has a thick theft-prevention-style key that has some kind of not-visable chip inside, $60 to copy that.

But your Grand Am key will work, and whatever clown said that you need to have it learn the key for 15-20 mins is not serious. It doesn't need to learn the key, its exactly the same thing as your current key in respects to the cars ignition system

Oh, and I keep a copy in my wallet too, saved me more than once!

TLS2000
04-08-2004, 02:30 PM
:rolleyes:

The theft protection in the current Grand Am has the chip in the ignition cylinder. If someone yanks out the cylinder to hotwire the car, it won't run for more than about 1 second before the computer shuts it off. No special keys required. No learning the cheapo key from the hardware store.