Alternator HELP!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Alternator HELP!!

Commander SATAN
03-18-2004, 10:06 PM
I own a 98 grand am with a 2.4
on the weekend i got my battery light on my dash come onit died the next day really close to my shop so i got it towed by a freind had the battery tested, ok
alternator seemed ok but the plug coming off it running to the pcm had no power. and now im sitting at a loss only got 83000kms

please help

swordfencer
03-19-2004, 07:22 AM
Did you test the alternator as well? Also, how old is the battery? Either one or both are probably bad. Was the battery completely dead? If so, the alternator and possibly the battery are bad.

Commander SATAN
03-19-2004, 09:02 AM
i tested the battery, it was dead but only because tha lternator was not charging.
I figure the alternator is not work since the plug from the pcm is not sending anysignal to the alternator.
I just dont want to buy an alternator and not have it be the problem

tjc13
03-19-2004, 11:12 AM
There isn't anything esle on the car that charges the battery except the alternator. If your battery is dead and your alternator isn't putting out any juice. I would say that you're gonna need to replace both of them. Also, make sure that there aren't any loose wires by the alternator. If you aren't comfortable making the decision whether or not to buy a new alternator, tow it or drive it so a shop and ask them.

Dan00GPGT
03-19-2004, 11:53 AM
Turn the key to the run position and see if you have voltage at the regulator. It will be the grey wire and the brown wire. The orange wire should be hot all the time. If you get nothing at the grey or brown wires I'd hesitate to blame the alternator right away.

illsmokeyou
03-19-2004, 12:02 PM
how about the simplest method?:

charge your battery to full spec (if its still good, following a test).....hook a voltmeter to the neg and pos terminals of your battery and you should have a hair over 12 volts with the car off, with the car on, you should have at least 13.7

If your voltage stays the same OR drops with the vehicle off, then you have a bad alternator, if your getting good voltage, I would say youve got a bad battery, or possibly a bad ground somewhere