ABS pump [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : ABS pump

blk_grn_97GT
03-19-2004, 05:56 AM
i have tried looking but haven't found anyone yet but has anyone ever had to deal with and ABS pump on our grand ams.

swordfencer
03-19-2004, 08:18 AM
Do you mean the ABS braking system? If I remember right, the ABS system has a set of solonoids, not pumps. What kind of problems are you having? The normal problem is a master cylinder going bad.

blk_grn_97GT
03-19-2004, 10:37 AM
well, my other thread kinda coincides with this, its the trouble shooting one, but i have eliminated 2 possibilities, its not my alternator, i tested that, i had my battery tested and it had a dead cell but i think it was because of my problems, ok, my problems started with my abs light coming on, then my battery light came on, then about half hour later while driving my car shut down. the reason i did some research on this abs stuff is cause of the light, and i do my own brakes so i didn't know if i did something or not, my g-pa told me on his late 90's silverado it the abs has a pump/motor, his went out and the same stuff happened, it ended up costing him $800 bucks, so i decided to check it out.

eaglesrealm
03-20-2004, 10:37 AM
The late 90's ABS on the Silverado is built by a different manufacturer and does have a Motor driving to pumps.

I believe the Delco units on our GA's are driven a motor pack which drives three small ball screws which control the fluid during an ABS stop. (along with some other complimentary components). I do not think there is a pump, but it is possible that it could be a failing motor pack. If you have an ABS light, you can get it read and post the code here.

action
03-20-2004, 01:24 PM
If you had all that happen, your battery is shot. You said you have a dead cell, replace the battery and your problems should go away. I doubt the ABS brakes caused the battery to fail.

Molson
03-20-2004, 01:30 PM
ABS required at LEAST 12v constant power.

if your battery is toast, it can't supply that power and will throw an ABS light.

blk_grn_97GT
03-22-2004, 07:36 AM
yea, i did have a battery problem but it didn't go away after i got a new battery, i got a hook up at monroe muffler and brake and they got the diagnostics bs for the braking system so there gonna find out what my problem is, thanks for the info

blk_grn_97GT
03-24-2004, 05:18 AM
got it fixed, ignition switch, battery, and alternator, thanks