Acceleration laggy [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Acceleration laggy

gt2000
03-20-2004, 10:09 PM
Grand Am GT at 76k. Lately, when I try to accelerate, it feels like my car is jumpy or skips. The car accelerates but not a smooth rev. When I rev slowly, it's not a problem. But when I try to accelerate fast ( > 4000 rpm) especially past second gear, I feel the hesitance in the engine.

Could it be spark plugs, air filter (not getting enough air?)....

Dr_Kyle
03-20-2004, 10:14 PM
It sounds like a misfire. Have you ever changed plugs, wires, coil packs, etc? Have you ever had your injectors cleaned?

AndyVTek
03-20-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Dr_Kyle
It sounds like a misfire. Have you ever changed plugs, wires, coil packs, etc? Have you ever had your injectors cleaned?

*iagree*

I was thinkin' plugs/wires.

gt2000
03-20-2004, 10:31 PM
"Have you ever changed plugs, wires, coil packs, etc? Have you ever had your injectors cleaned"

Yes, Injectors were cleaned about 3k miles ago [Car SPA]. The plugs haven't been changed. Still the original manufacturer ones. I figured they lasted until 100k miles?

Everything else is stock. I think you might be right about the plugs. Thanks.

Dr_Kyle
03-20-2004, 10:38 PM
Yeah, if they've never been changed, I'd start there. It won't cost much and at 76k, you could use some new one's anyway.

Xraided089
03-21-2004, 07:01 PM
wow.... My car just started doing the exact same thing a few weeks ago. I have some relatively new wires and plugs from doctorspeed so I dont know whythe plugs would be a problem. Any other suggestions???

gt2000
10-12-2004, 05:03 PM
Turns out that it was due to my spark plugs. The cylinder(s) were misfiring. Got some new stock spark plugs (all six) and no more problemo. Thanks.

brsexton
10-13-2004, 07:24 AM
Perfect example that the Plugs DON'T last until 100k.......Just another way GM tries to get people to buy these cars by saying. "No needed tune-up until 100,000 miles"...Bull Crap!!

Blackrider
10-13-2004, 07:39 AM
Just some more info for this Thread, Dr Kyle is right on,

Start with Ignition, Plugs wires, coils... Then fuel Injectors and fuel filter.

Failing that get a back pressure test done on your car. You might have a clogged cat. When my stock cat clogged up, it started exactly like that slow slugges responce, and it got worse and worse over the course of 2 weeks, I could barly get the car over 100KPH on my way to the dealer.

But glad you got it solved.

mcgrady
10-14-2004, 07:00 AM
Just some more info for this Thread, Dr Kyle is right on,

Start with Ignition, Plugs wires, coils... Then fuel Injectors and fuel filter.

Failing that get a back pressure test done on your car. You might have a clogged cat. When my stock cat clogged up, it started exactly like that slow slugges responce, and it got worse and worse over the course of 2 weeks, I could barly get the car over 100KPH on my way to the dealer.

But glad you got it solved.

What did the dealer find wrong with the car to cause the clogged cat? A cat does not fail on it's own, something causes it.

Blackrider
10-14-2004, 07:49 AM
What did the dealer find wrong with the car to cause the clogged cat? A cat does not fail on it's own, something causes it.
There was nothing wrong, And i havent had a problem since, the blamed it on a defective cat.

mcgrady
10-15-2004, 06:56 AM
There was nothing wrong, And i havent had a problem since, the blamed it on a defective cat.

There are no moving parts inside a cat. If it was good at 1000kms then it'll be good for the life of the car unless it rusts out from the outside or unburned fuel somehow gets down there and melts the catalyst. The catalyst then breaks away and clogs the rear passage of the cat. Unburned fuel can also collect inside as a carbon/soot and block the passages in and out of the cat.

Don't believe me? Have a look at these links then............

http://www.discountconverter.com/Why_Cats_Fail/converterproblems.htm
http://www.midwestmuffler.com/exhaust_ccfailure.htm

Blackrider
10-15-2004, 07:13 AM
There are no moving parts inside a cat. If it was good at 1000kms then it'll be good for the life of the car unless it rusts out from the outside or unburned fuel somehow gets down there and melts the catalyst. The catalyst then breaks away and clogs the rear passage of the cat. Unburned fuel can also collect inside as a carbon/soot and block the passages in and out of the cat.

Don't believe me? Have a look at these links then............

http://www.discountconverter.com/Why_Cats_Fail/converterproblems.htm
http://www.midwestmuffler.com/exhaust_ccfailure.htm
**** I didnt say I didnt believe you but there was no Logical reason for it to clog. it wasnt running ritch at all, they had no idea why it clogged... I'm well aware of how a cat works. but thanks anyways.