Urgent problem!!! Car won't shift/won't accelerate [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Urgent problem!!! Car won't shift/won't accelerate

MSJHWT
03-21-2004, 08:46 PM
Hey all,
Please help, my cars broken! We went to the track today, and for some reason in 1st and 2nd gear at 5500 RPMs the engine wouldn't go any higher, and was having trouble shifting in to the next higest gear, the worst was that at 5500 in 2nd I would not go above 80MPH, it just revved and revved. The problem got progressively worse, and then the car threw a SES light that then went away. Next run another SES light, and it won't go away. Then on my way home, this happened. I know the video is large, but it explains whats happening. Please please please someone help me!
http://www.angelfire.com/crazy/chincastle/carbroke_n.mpg

Thank You!

Rba007
03-21-2004, 08:53 PM
Did it just start doing that? Or did something happen then it started?

H.O. Driver
03-21-2004, 08:54 PM
Best bet is get it to autozone in the morning and have the code scanned.

Still thinking, will get more info, maybe tps not hooked up or not hooked up right or something.

H.O. Driver
03-21-2004, 08:56 PM
Does it feel like its pulling timing or just hitting a rev limiter?

2002AmSE
03-21-2004, 09:02 PM
you were flooring it during that entire video?? or did you let it go a little bit after it shifted to 2nd?

MSJHWT
03-21-2004, 09:07 PM
I let go after I shifted to second, but the whole time it was in first I was flooring it.

MSJHWT
03-21-2004, 09:08 PM
Ok, H.O. im'ed me and we're pretty sure its a vaccum leak, so tomorrow off to Autozone I go, Thanks guys!!!

2002AmSE
03-21-2004, 09:08 PM
Umm, your almost out of gas, this probably isnt your case but maybe you just clogged the crap out of your pump/filter and your car isnt getting the gas pressure to get up to speed, because I think i heard your car sputter a few times when it reaches those higher revs.

just a few cents, but that happened one time when our fuel line was a bit clogged

H.O. Driver
03-21-2004, 09:13 PM
Its either the TPS or a vacuum leak, He is trying the TPS right now.

Dr_Kyle
03-21-2004, 09:45 PM
If it's not a vacuum leak, make sure the intake isn't obstructed. It almost seems like it can't breathe. Otherwise maybe a clogged cat... just sounds like something is restricting the flow.

H.O. Driver
03-21-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Dr_Kyle
If it's not a vacuum leak, make sure the intake isn't obstructed. It almost seems like it can't breathe. Otherwise maybe a clogged cat... just sounds like something is restricting the flow.
The cat was put on Friday with the Headers, at least I am assuming.

Also, he noticed a burnt smell, so I think a wire was touching the headers and burnt it.:(

Dr_Kyle
03-21-2004, 09:53 PM
yow, that's no good.

MSJHWT
03-21-2004, 09:57 PM
Actually they didn't have time to do the Cat Friday a long with the headers...its sitting on my desk :/

MSJHWT
03-21-2004, 10:15 PM
Intake is good, the Cone Fitler had fallen off, noticed it Wednesday, but was on when this happned and had been on for a few days, and just cheked and it's still on. I think I found a burnt hose?

Dr_Kyle
03-21-2004, 10:35 PM
The tube between those two circles is your egr tube. Is that the one you are talking about?

MSJHWT
03-21-2004, 10:51 PM
Yes, it had visable tears/burns on the outside, but I just went back and looked at it.....the inside is perfectly fine, its just that coevering that is cut/burned (looks like it was cut during insall). I checked against theheaders everywhere else, again, nothing I could see....so I'm just going t go get this code read, and hopefully figure out what the heck is going on :( thank you all for your help, and I'm sure you'll be hearing from me tomorrow ehen I figure out what this code is!!!

MSJHWT
03-21-2004, 10:53 PM
just sounds like something is restricting the flow.
This is exactly what it felt like, sometimes, it seemed that the exhaust wasn't making any noise, and when i would rev it would sound like it just wasnt all there. Even revving in idle sounds hella wierd.

Costa
03-22-2004, 01:21 AM
I had a problem where the car would have trouble shifting from first into second. This would happen when the car would get warmed up. The problem got progresivly worse and then it would not rev above 2000 rpms. The needle would stick and viloently shake back and forth.

The problem ended up being the Crank Shaft Sensor. The sensor was damaged, cause by a leak from my radiotor.

Im not sure if this is the same problem you are having. I can't really tell what is going on in the video.

MSJHWT
03-22-2004, 01:44 PM
Wish I had my AOL AIM on here, but I'm at a public library because the Autozone is 30 mins away from my house, and didn't want to go there and have to possibly come back here. I also called the dealer as was going to bring my car into him, but considering what I just found out at the Autozone, I might not. I'm throwing codes
440 and 420 or 402
It was the bank 02 sensor and the something with the EGR. So this seems to me to be something directly related to the headers, and I don't want to get stuff from the dealer about the headers. I'm considering going back to the palce I got the headers put in...at least they could look at it. Any suggestions/ideas? I'm going to leave pretty soon for either the dealer or the speed shop that did the headers.

H.O. Driver
03-22-2004, 04:11 PM
You had a place install them for you?
If so take it back, and say the made a mistake installing them, the should be able to go in and fix it, if it is because how they installed them.

MSJHWT
03-22-2004, 06:04 PM
I went ahead and took it back to the place that did the install, ELD Performance. They are going to see what they can do, I had to leave the car there overnight. I called the Pontiac Service manager at the Pontiac Dealership I usually go to, he said that from the sound of things and the codes its throwing he thinks the EGR is clooged up, I think it's perhaps not properly connected...or maybe it was damaged and I just couldn't tell, I failed to manage to the service manager that the headers were installed :), he already refers to my car as the "race car" because of the hood and stripes. We'll see when he calls me back tomorrow and lets me know whats up, thanks all you guys for your help!!!!!

MSJHWT
03-23-2004, 11:22 AM

ELD Couldn't figure out what was wrong sooo....took it to the dealer, RIGHT ON THE MONEY DR.KYLE! It's a clogged cat, service manager goes well it's no use putting another GM cat on there, and I couldn't do that under warrenty anyway, so go out and get a high flow cat. Well I've got that Catco high flow cat, but I accedintly ordered a 2 1/4 inch cat instead of a 2 1/2, so I just ordered a 2 1/2, hopefully that'll solve the problems!
Thanks guys!

Mike Jung
03-23-2004, 12:03 PM
You might also need: O2 Simulator (http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PFYC&Product_Code=WB5007&Product_Count=2&Category_Code=GAEXH) for after the Cat.

Because the PCM might trigger a SES light about the new Cat being less efficient/below acceptable limits (compared to the stock Cat).

MSJHWT
03-23-2004, 02:50 PM
Ah okay, so if it's throwing codes after it might be this, will that SES cause power loss or anything? I'd rather wait and not buy it until I see if the cat will trigger this or not, unless its going to revert to doing the same thing it is now.

Dr_Kyle
03-23-2004, 03:08 PM
Cool, I'm glad they figured out the problem. :)

Mike Jung
03-24-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by MSJHWT
Ah okay, so if it's throwing codes after it might be this, will that SES cause power loss or anything? I'd rather wait and not buy it until I see if the cat will trigger this or not, unless its going to revert to doing the same thing it is now.
I don't know but see threads:
SES light on, threw P0420, whats that (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=20531)

O2 SES, code P0420 (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=22216)

MSJHWT
03-24-2004, 03:55 PM
Ah okay, from reading thoes I should be okay until I see if it throws a code or not.
Thanks mike!

DoCDooM
02-22-2010, 08:04 PM
I had a really weird problem a few years back and it WAS the fuel pump!
The damned thing didn't just fail like a fuel pump is supposed to, it would run fine, run fine and then the car would die at highway speeds!
I ended up replacing the fuel tank module and the well known sticky fuel gauge problem went away as well.