Transmission pan drop ? need quick answer [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Transmission pan drop ? need quick answer

2002AmSE
03-21-2004, 09:47 PM
Hey guys, Ive searched the forums and found mixed answers so I'm asking it here because I need the answer soon because im doing a transmission pan drop on a 1999 grand am.

I am dropping the transmission pan and replacing the filter and filling it back up.

question #1: How much fluid do I need to add once I have dropped the pan? (Helps me with how much I need to buy at the store tomorrow morning)
question #2: If I use this amount, will I be fine without pulling the level check bolt and checking it?? (I can't hoist the car to check this, and the place where I could hoist it, won't let me run the engine while its up there)
question #3: I just fill it the proper amount with the fill cap will I be fine? or do I need to fill a few bottles, and start it and run it, put more fluid in, etc? because some people started confusing me saying that only a certain amount of fluid would go in the fill cap at a time, whats all that about?

The most important question is the first one, I need the answer quickly, thanks ...along with any other useful information too(can you tell i dont have a haynes/gm service manuel)

EBlend
03-21-2004, 10:16 PM
hum....i know the amount ur transmision needs is in the manual...i remember when i changed mine..i bought enough as to what was said in the instruction manual, but ended up returning 2 quarts back because i didn' tneed it..as old oil was still in the torque converter and such. so that tells you a little bit, but i am pretty sure you will have to pull the plug to check the level. And as for those ppl who won't let you run the engine, just lower the car. put in some oil that is reasonable...then turn on the car, move the tranny though all gears, and then turn off the engine, lift it back up and then fill her in more until it starts dripping form the plug

2002AmSE
03-21-2004, 10:32 PM
I heard that if you dont have the car running then all the fluid runs out the hole because it runs back to the pan because the lines that are filled while its running backflow into the pan causing it to be more full than during operation.

Anybody know the amount for the drop/fill?

GrandAmGT99
03-22-2004, 04:57 AM
Youre going to need to check the level once you put some in....Really no way around it.

Not doing so would be like changing your brakes without being able to take the tire off.

2002AmSE
03-23-2004, 05:35 AM
Okay, I just dropped the pan, threw the new filter on, and filled it with 7 quarts, is that the proper amount, or would throwing another quart in make it right/too much?

2002AmSE
03-23-2004, 05:46 AM
Oh, and another question, would it be a good idea to reset the PCM after this to relearn the transmission or anything?

carsarecool
03-23-2004, 11:08 AM
ive been wondering about that too, its **supposed** to last to 100,000 but obviously everybody whos done theirs after 50k or so it has been black/burnt-the tranny fluid has never been changed and i'm at 70,4xx in my 99-most of the stuff i read would say its too late for a flush so im thinkin just the pan drop andfilter change?
oh and i dont know about resetting the pcm-it would shift hard for a little while anyway, before it relearns the shift points

Mike Jung
03-23-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by 2002AmSE
Okay, I just dropped the pan, threw the new filter on, and filled it with 7 quarts, is that the proper amount, or would throwing another quart in make it right/too much?
From Haynes Repair Manual:

ATF:
Fluid & Filter change = 7 quarts
From dry, including torque converter = 13 quarts

Note: All capacities approximate. Add as necessary to bring to appropriate level.

Originally posted by carsarecool
ive been wondering about that too, its **supposed** to last to 100,000 but obviously everybody whos done theirs after 50k or so it has been black/burnt-the tranny fluid has never been changed and i'm at 70,4xx in my 99-most of the stuff i read would say its too late for a flush so im thinkin just the pan drop andfilter change?...
My owner's manual does mention to change the ATF & filter every 50K miles / 83K km if driven hard (like: for heavy city driving with hot temps outside, hilly or mountainous terrain, doing frequent towing, used as a taxi / delivery service vehicle).

I had my ATF changed in the pan & filter before 50K miles / 83K km; when I had a right axle shaft seal leak out.

2002AmSE
03-24-2004, 04:57 AM
Okay guys, I found a better place to hoist it up(turns out one of my friends let me bring it to his work so i could do stuff to the car there). I started the engine, ran it through the gears, pulled the plug and it took another 1/4 of a quart. So the whole thing took 7 1/4 quarts. I suppose that if I do it for my own car(mine is only 34500 so i havent done mine yet), that I will give it 7 1/2 quarts, because I won't have a hoist anymore to check the level. I'm pretty sure being 1/4 quart over wouldn't harm anything as long as it isn't too far over(like a whole quart or something).

Since the shifting would be softer, I didn't reset the PCM on the car, it shifts nicer and as stiff as it feels it should. :-)

People on this forum said something like "when you use the fill cap only 4-5 quarts goes in," but what they are saying is that when youve got a dry transmission(not with a pan drop, but when you have an empty torque convertor), that you won't be able to put it all in at once because it doesn't go straight into the convertor. But I was fine filling it with the fill plug without any problems.

This car had an amount of gunk on the magnet, it was black and I rubbed the entire amount off of it and on my finger, it was about the size of a quarter in the palm of my hand, and piled up about as thick as shampo would with that amount, is that of any concern at all? The transmission is at 45k miles, he says he drives it around hard, so is this normal clutch wear, or is this excessive?