Lifter Noise?? tick, tick, tick [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Lifter Noise?? tick, tick, tick

wolfemane
03-22-2004, 01:00 PM
Hey what up guys? This past weekend I decided to take a nice cruise on up to South Shore Lake Tahoe. The climb from where I live is a pretty hefty climb. On my way up the mountain I start getting this incredably loud TICKING noise. I pull over and open the hood and the the noise was coming right from (or under I should say) the intake manifold. When I accelerated the ticking increased, and when I let up on the gas the ticking returned to a regular pace at idle. Could this be one of the lifters? I wasn't experiencing any power lose, and before i continued any farther I put a bottle of STP in my oil system. The next day the sound went away. Any ideas? Let me know.

71Z28RS
03-22-2004, 01:36 PM
Sounds like a lifter problem to me. It is very possible that a piece of grime or something got in the lifter seal and it wasn't allowing it to stay pressurized. Alot of times when that happens, it will work itself clean and it won't happen again. If it's ok now, I'd just keep an ear out for it and hopefully it's just a one time thing.