new guy...viscosity/temp? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : new guy...viscosity/temp?

carsarecool
03-22-2004, 10:59 PM
hey whats up, im new, i've been lookin at this site for a looong time now ever since i got a GA i think, 11/02 :cool: i just think its a really good site w/ lots of info, especially since my mom has a 99 alero gls w/ the 3400 and i have a 99 GA SE1 with the 2.4 so its not like i can skip over anything :p anyway, i switched to synthetic a while back (M1 5-30 of course) and have done 2 changes since then and im wondering if putting the Mobil 1 0W-30 insted of the 5W-30 would change anything? i did some searches and couldnt really find a good answer, but its supposed to increase gas mileage and im guessin provide better protection? i just dont know if itll be too thin cause its gonna start to get warmer here, its the same price too if im not mistaken, alright hope somebody knows-thanks

Mike Jung
03-22-2004, 11:29 PM
I would only use the Mobil 1 0W30 in the cold winter time (as it is very thin cold).

If you want a Mobil 1 OWx oil during non-winter time; I would sugguest trying Mobil 1 OW40 (it is what new Porsches use as a factory-fill & the recommended oil for them) & not that thin at like 40C (it thickens pretty fast through it's temperature range).

I am currently using Mobil 1 5W30; Mobil 1 0W30 here is not easily found for the winter.

But am considering changing for the summer months to Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W40 (re-labeled Mobil Delvac 1 synthetic diesel motor oil; in smaller consumer size quart/litre bottles; if I can find it easily here & reasonably priced).

If you want to stay with GM recommendations than use Mobil 1 5W30 (or 10W30 in the summer) during non-winter months & use the Mobil 1 0W30 in the winter time.

Note: Mobil 1 :thumbs: is one of the few only real (that uses PAOs as the basestock oil) 'synthetic' motor oils left that you can buy commonly over-the-counter at auto stores.