Toolset [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Toolset

AznGA
03-23-2004, 12:02 AM
I am looking to buy a toolset. How many pieces would you get? I am basically looking for a good set of drivers, wrenches, and sockets to be able to do moderate level work on my car. Walmart has this Stanley 125 pc set for $60 bux. Pretty damn good deal.

71Z28RS
03-23-2004, 08:45 AM
First of all, congrats on your potential purchase. I'm sure you'll find that the tools will pay for themselves after a couple of repairs.

I usually buy Craftsman, but I can't say I've heard bad things about Stanley. I would recommend making sure that you have a complete set of 1/2" and 3/8" drive sockets (english & metric), the ratchets for both those, a full set of english and metric wrenches, a couple of extensions, and some universal joints. I'd also buy a breaker bar for both the 1/2" and 3/8" drive, a nice set of pliers (regular, needlenose, channel lock, visegrip), and a full set of screwdrivers. It's not a bad idea to have a set of unusual driver sockets too (allen, torques, ....). Anything you need after that, you can buy as you need it. I also have a full set of 1/4" drive sockets, but that is more of a convience than a must have. It's really nice to have a set of deepwell sockets to compliment your standard ones too. I prefer 6 point sockets, but 12 points work just as well unless the bolt is rusted. At some point in time, you're going to need a torque wrench too.

Hope this helps. Tools rock, and the more car stuff you do, the more reason you have to buy more!

fschambe
03-23-2004, 08:57 AM
Hit it down to home depot, they have a 1million (well 100 something) piece huskie set in case with bonus 3 drawer cabinet (18hx30w) for something like $100. I've attached some of the sockets to my 3' breaker bar and haven't been able to break them yet! I'd say they're some quality pieces!

EBlend
03-23-2004, 09:11 AM
i used stanley sockets before and they were hella strong..just FYI :)

tonmarchelli
03-28-2004, 09:58 AM
i am also planning to buy a new set of tools very soon. i have decided to go with craftsman. my dad is a master mechaninc and he uses MAC tools and Craftsman. the reason i think craftsman is a good choice is that they have a lifetime warranty, if you break one for any reason, bring it in and they will replace it that same day no questions asked. craftsman is mostly sold at sears.

Green99GT
03-29-2004, 10:59 AM
FYI at advance they have 2 nice sets onsale lifetime warrinty...really good stuff. i work there and the only ones ive seen break were under trumedious* stress you can look on the website under specials....it should be there. good luck